“Fetch” will never happen, but the musical will

By Julia Lescht, Online Opinions Editor

If this wasn’t the most totally fetch news to surface the Earth since the film’s release almost 13 years ago, then Wednesdays would be famous for wearing whatever dang color everybody wants.

But no; on Wednesdays, we wear pink. Comedian and writer Tina Fey’s “Mean Girls,” famous for its timeless quotability and its raw, relatable humor has stood the ultimate test of time and is finally coming to life on stage.It’s hitting D.C. for its theatrical debut. It’s like that feeling when Aaron Samuels first asks Cady what day it was on Oct. 3, but better!

“I’m super excited because ‘Mean Girls’ is one of my favorite movies, and I know that the writers are all gonna be great,” freshman Trevor Gardemal said.

Written by Tina Fey, directed by Casey Nicholaw, composed by Jeff Richmond and produced by Lorne Michaels, Stuart Thompson and Paramount Pictures, the show is set to premiere in Washington, D.C. in October before hitting Broadway in March.

According to the musical’s official website, it will be in D.C. at the National Theatre for five weeks from Oct. 31-Dec. 3. Going along with the show’s high school drama theme, the user must “clique” to purchase tickets from the site.

Even though opening night is weeks away, many of the D.C. performances are either sold out at this point or only have a few available seats left due too its popularity and high anticipation.

“I love the movie,” said senior Jenna Prosen, who found out about the musical via social media and is going to New York to see the show in May. “It teaches you that being the mean girl can backfire and even though it may seem cool to some people, to others it may feel intimidating and cruel.”

The show previews in New York City starting Mar. 12, but doesn’t officially open until Apr. 8. As of now, the song list has not been released.

“I don’t know how the musical will compare to the movie,” Gardemal said. “I think since I know the movie so well I might dislike any differences that the musical might have.”

Fey, an Emmy winner for both her writing and acting, is well known for her witty humor, especially in her television show “30 Rock” and her book “Bossypants.” Benjamin, the lyricist who worked with Fey, also wrote the lyrics to “Legally Blonde,” another movie-turned Tony-award-nominated musical.

“I think the storyline will be very similar, sending the same message as the movie,” Prosen said. “This lesson may be overdramatized through the lyrics in the songs, while still using comedy.”

Just the fact that the movie has survived the past 13 years with its wit and unforgettable lines gives way for high expectations for the musical. The transformation of the movie into a musical also helps to prolong the film’s legacy for newer generations and to broader audiences, such as those who are greater fans of musical theater than film.

“I’m excited to see how the music they created portrays the characters and storyline,” Prosen said. “I can’t wait compare the movie and show.”