Hirshhorn Draws Crowds, Media Attention

The Hirshhorn museum’s unique newest exhibit celebrate the art of Yayoi Kusama. The museum included many different rooms for visitors to experience, along with individual art pieces on display.

PHOTO BY MAYA ROSENBERG.

PHOTO BY MAYA ROSENBERG.

By Nora Holland, Arts Editor

CHS students on social media may have recently come across posts of mirrored rooms decorated with odd yet beautiful art including red and white blobs, twinkling lights and even glowing polka dot pumpkins. These unique works of art are part of an exhibit called Infinity Mirrors by the Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama.

Back in February, the Infinity Mirrors exhibit made its debut at the Hirshhorn museum in Washington, D.C. This exhibit became extremely popular and has attracted visitors from all over, including many CHS students.

“I decided to visit the mirrors because I was really inspired by the pictures I saw online and on my friends’ posts,” sophomore Jessie Ma said. “It seemed very different from all the other museums I visited.”

The Infinity Mirrors exhibit opened Feb. 23 and gained popularity throughout social media for its photogenic appearance and interactive qualities.

According to the Hirshhorn Museum’s website, the exhibit “Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors” was created to showcase Kusama and celebrate her lengthy 65 year career.

Kusama is a much celebrated artist who is known for her abstract and colorful works. She was named one of the world’s most influential people by TIME magazine in 2016 and was the first woman to represent Japan at the Venice Biennale, an international art exhibition based in Venice.

The exhibit is meant to reflect on Kusama’s work and creativity. It presents six different mirrored rooms to explore along with some of Kusama’s other pieces. The rooms differ drastically. One of the rooms, “The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away,” is an illusion of lights and mirrors that gives visitors the feeling of floating in space, while the “Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity,” is a room of sparkling golden lanterns that seem to stretch on forever.

“The exhibit is about how we are all a dot in the world, and our world is a dot in the universe,” Ma said.

The exhibit was so popular during its showing in D.C. that all the timed passes sold out and people were advised to wait in line at the museum hours before it opened each day. Those lucky enough to acquire the daily passes were allotted only 15 to 20 seconds in each room because of the amount of people.

According to sophomore Jetta Chen, she waited outside the museum for three hours to get a ticket for the exhibit.

“While [they are] really incredible exhibits and definitely worth seeing, [the exhibit is] also something that’s really hard to get into,” sophomore Maya Tondravi said. “Online tickets were sold out within six minutes of being put up.”

The exhibit ended in D.C. May 14 and will travel on tour to other states and countries. After travelling to the Seattle Art Museum where it will stay until September, it will move on to other art museums such as The Broad in Los Angeles and the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto.

“I think if I had gotten in, the four hours [of waiting] would have been worth it,” Tondravi said. “[The exhibit] is very contemporary and interactive, which I think offers a unique take on art.”