Annual Arts Festival Draws and Displays Talent

Art+Department+resource+teacher+Brendan+Roddy+displays+original+pottery+that+will+be+raffled+off+during+the+Arts+Festival++April+19-29.+

photo by Emily Wang

Art Department resource teacher Brendan Roddy displays original pottery that will be raffled off during the Arts Festival April 19-29.

By Emily Wang, Online Arts Editor

The opportunity to see stunning photographs, paintings, sculptures, one-act plays, orchestra performances and fashion shows will be available to the CHS community at the annual CHS Arts Festival, held in the auditorium and room 126 April 19-29.

The Arts Festival is a week where students and staff present their artistic fruits of the year’s labor.
Junior Grant Dong entered and won best in the show for the photography/digital art section two years ago as a freshman.

“The Arts Festival gives a chance for students to have a taste of competition in a low pressure situation, which is easy for the artist, and also enjoyable for the people who vote and view the art,” Dong said.

Not all artwork created this year will be presented in the Festival; art teachers choose pieces from their various level classes that are strong conceptually or in terms of craftsmanship.

For the fine art pieces, attendees will be able to vote on their favorites in each of the categories: photo/digital art, painting/drawing, ceramics/sculpture and fashion. The winner in each category will be awarded best in its respective category and an overall winner will awarded best in show. The prizes include art supplies and coupons or discounts to local restaurants. Last year, the prize for best in the show was brunch for two at the Four Season’s restaurant.

“Winning does not go through my mind until someone asks if I want to win,” junior Emma Jin said. “Creating the piece and putting it on display is already satisfying. I don’t need to win a prize to be content.”

On the performing arts side, students will direct and act in 15 minute one-act plays, which are free to see, to encourage donations for the drama club.

Attendees will have a chance to enter the raffle for Art resource teacher Brendan Roddy and Studio Art teacher Jacquelyn Washam’s original artwork. Students can also sell their work if they choose.

The Arts Festival is funded by donations from local businesses, the PTSA and students’ families. As such, all proceeds from this year’s Arts Festival will go towards next year’s Festival funds.

According to senior Emilie Butchko, last year’s Arts Festival was different than the ones in previous years because there was a fashion show and a lot more interactive activities, which made the entire experience more enjoyable.

This year, the events of the Arts Festival will remain relatively unchanged from last year.
However, the Festival this year will span two weeks due to the days conflicting with elections and the senior banquet.

The first day of the Festival will start with the Instrumental Concert on April 19 and end with the Instrumental Gala April 29.

In addition to student works, there will be a staff show area where staff members are allowed to enter two works to be displayed.

According to AP World History teacher Christopher Forney, who displayed pop art in previous years, the staff section of the festival is a great way to see the talents and creative outlets of his students and peers.

Students and staff are encouraged to bring their families and friends to the Arts Festival.

“We would like to invite everyone to the Arts Festival to be able to view and appreciate the talent of our visual art students,” Art teacher Paul Dermont said.