‘Almost, Maine’ makes CHS theater debut

By Sofia Williamson, Staff Writer

Glory, a hiker from out of town, gets lost on her way to see the Northern Lights and suddenly appears with a tent in a stranger’s backyard, wondering where she is. The stranger, introduced as East, explains that this territory is not on the map… it’s just Almost.

CHS’ production of Almost, Maine, a play that centers on a series of skits all taking place in a remote area of northern Maine, opens on Feb. 20 in the auditorium.

“We needed a play that was ‘no costumes, no accents,’” long-term theater substitute Rachel A. Gates said.

According to Gates, she wanted a minimalist play with more than four actors. Choral Music Department Head Matthew Albright suggested Almost, Maine, a good fit due to its large cast of 20 actors and everyday, modern costumes.

The play is set on a Friday night in an isolated, unmapped region of Northern Maine called Almost. Its series of skits reflects the situations of different couples living in Almost. Through the use of compelling, sometimes ironic metaphors, the couple’s situation is resolved for better or for worse.

“It’s a very romantic play,” freshman Callista Warren said. “If that’s what you’re into, you should definitely see it.”

Also according to Gates, the actors were given scripts before winter break to have memorized when they returned. The actors rehearse every day after school, with a mandatory rehearsal each week. Money from school play ticket sales and Almost, Maine ticket sales will serve as funding, with little money needed to spend on costumes and props due to the play’s simplicity.

“My favorite part of rehearsals have simply been the opportunity to act,” sophomore Bardia Memar said. “It’s something that you can’t find a lot of.”

Opening night is Feb. 20, and tickets will be on sale in the auditorium at $10 for adults and $8 for students.