‘The DUFF’ deals with the struggles of high school

Eugenia Cardinale

The movie tells the story of a girl who tries to become dateable and avoid labels.

By Eugenia Cardinale, Production Editor

As students walk the halls they silently label each other in their minds as ‘nerds’ or ‘jocks’ but sometimes there can be other labels. The DUFF deals with labels, new or old, and how to get past them.

The movie is based off the novel The DUFF by Kody Keplinger. The movie follows high school senior Bianca Piper (Mae Whitman) who deals with being labeled the ‘designated ugly fat friend’ of her group of friends. With the help of her popular neighbor, Wesley Rush (Robbie Amell), she tries to drop this label in order to become more ‘dateable.’

The whole premise of the labeling of people in this movie, especially the label of “DUFF,” seemed to be about attractiveness and who is more ‘dateable.’ While this idea is realistic, it sends a bad image to young females that being attractive to boys is the most important thing.

There are many scenes where the guys in the movie objectify the girls, including one where a teacher makes a comment about how a female student looks good in a dress. The objectifying of women in this movie is meant to be passed off as a joke.

The film was funny at times, with references to social media and popular TV shows like Pretty Little Liars.

It was a typical movie about high school, but with a twist. The film showed how students do not necessarily fit into one ‘clique’ or group because everyone does diverse activities.

At the end of the day, while being cliché and extremely predictable, The DUFF wraps up well despite a shaky start to the film.

The recommended audience for this movie tends to be young adults, as it is based off of a young adult novel. Anyone can enjoy this movie if they acknowledge that it has faults and is not the deepest of movies. If one is looking to watch a kind of cliché and predictable movie about high school, go see The DUFF.