New businesses offer more variety at Cabin John

While people were vacationing this summer, the Cabin John Shopping Center experienced some extreme changes. Cabin John has changed its color scheme and added multiple businesses. New additions include Benny’s Bar and Grill, Pet Valu, Orange Leaf, Leila Jewels, PNC Bank, The Grilled Oyster Company and a new Chinese restaurant to replace Jade Billows.

Benny’s Bar and Grill is an American restaurant opening soon in Cabin John in the space where Popeye’s used to be. This restaurant is going to have a 1940s retro theme, and will be similar to restaurants such as Houston’s and Clyde’s.

Pet Valu is a pet store that will be opening in the shopping center. At Pet Valu, workers will help pet owners decide which food and toys will best suit their pet.

Orange Leaf is a frozen yogurt store that opened in the mall Aug. 3. The self-serve shop offers a variety of flavors and toppings for customers to choose from. Orange Leaf, which is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m to 9 p.m. on Sundays, offers a 10 percent discount for CHS students. This is Cabin John’s first frozen yogurt store, and has opened to rave reviews.

Leila Jewels is a jewelry store that is now open in the shopping center. Here one can find gifts for bar or bat mitzvahs, weddings, birthdays, graduations and more. This store is open from 10 a.m.to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m.to 6 p.m. on Sundays.

PNC Bank is opening a drive thru at the far end of the shopping center. This bank is the second drive-thru bank, aside from SunTrust Bank, to open in Cabin John.

The Grilled Oyster Company is opening in the middle of the shopping center. Unlike the other restaurants in the area, The Grilled Oyster Company will provide new food options. The restaurant’s featured dishes include a variety of shellfish, particularly oysters.

After multiple years of being one of the most popular Chinese restaurants in the area, Jade Billows is closing. It is rumored that in place of Jade Billows, a new Chinese restaurant will take its place, but no one can be sure if it will live up to Jade Billows’ legacy.