“Take Me Home” brings classic ’80s touch to screen

The ‘80s were a time of neon, perms, bad dance moves and unforgettably atrocious and amazing music. Take Me Home Tonight encompasses the decade in all of its glory with a hilarious cast and a spunky, albeit reused, plotline.
The film revolves around college-grad Matt Franklin (Topher Grace, That 70’s Show) who is in a rut, aimlessly trying to figure out his life goals. He is surrounded by others in the same situation: his sister, (Anna Farris, Scary Movie) faces her own personal dilemma of sacrificing her relationship for her dream to write, and his best friend Barry (Dan Fogler, Love Happens) has recently been fired from his steady job which he gave up college to maintain.
Matt’s spirits lift on Labor Day weekend when he sees his high school crush, Tori, (Teresa Palmer, I Am Number Four) and they strike up a conversation.  Matt still lusts after Tori, and with Barry’s help, he goes to extreme lengths in order to gain Tori’s attention and win her affections with crude humor, a stolen vehicle and fantastic music.
Even though this plotline seems to be overused year after year (there was 2007’s Superbad and 2010’s She’s Out of My League), Take Me Home Tonight does attempt to throw a few curveballs the audience’s way. Tori offers comedic spontaneity and a refreshing take on the stereotypical girl next door, because she has the brains to match her undeniable sex appeal. Barry plays the generic dopey best friend, and he sneaks in funny comments that leave the audience bursting out in laughter.
However, the movie’s best asset is its fantastic selection of ‘80s hits. Paralleling a John Hughes film, Take Me Home Tonight’s plotline is balanced with a selection of the ‘80s most entertaining songs. Snippets of Duran Duran’s Hungry Like The Wolf, N.W.A’s Straight Outta Compton, Kim Carnes’ Betty Davis Eyes, and Men Without Hats’ Safety Dance effortlessly flow during the film, creating a light, upbeat mood throughout the story.
Topher Grace not only stars in the film, but also serves as co-writer and co-producer, thereby displaying his creativity and flexibility in his debut in both roles. The jokes were funny when they needed to be, and the actors seemed to be the perfect fit for their respective character. 
The film’s script serves as another selling point by giving a multi-dimensional view of its characters. For example, the banter between Grace’s character and his sister is filled with wit and humor, but their conversations also give a much clearer perception of how strong their relationship truly is.
With its glimpse back to the past, dynamite music, fresh mix of characters and entertaining script, Take Me Home Tonight charms, humors, and entertains the audience in every way until they are crying from laughing so hard.

The Observer gave the Take Me Home Tonight  4 out of 5 stars.