CHS Bids Farewell to Memorable Staff Members

By Rebekah Sklute, News and Observations Online Editor

Honors Chemistry teacher Bridget Buel plans to retire at the end of this year after 38 years of teaching, 12 of which have been at CHS.

Prior to teaching in Maryland, Buel taught math and science in Virginia for eight years, Pakistan for one year and Israel for three years.

“I’ve had a lot of different kinds of experiences,” Buel said. “My favorite part of the job is having a classroom full of students who work hard to achieve, which makes my job fun and fulfilling.”

Buel helps guide her students to learn and absorb the chemistry material. She checks on her students’ progress daily to make sure they are keeping up with the class and don’t fall behind.

“Mrs. Buel’s encouragement for success is what I’ll remember the most,” sophomore Sheerin Naimi said. “She made her students feel so good about themselves when they answered a question correctly.”

In addition to her interactions with students she has also forged strong friendships with other CHS teachers. Science resource teacher Clinton Brown appreciates everything she has done to contribute to the science department and will miss having her around next year.

“Her teaching techniques, her leadership, her advice will be missed by the science department and especially the chemistry department,” Brown said. “CHS needs as many teachers as possible who have Mrs. Buel’s caring personality.”

Though Buel already participates in community service work as a volunteer at USO Warrior and Family Center Bethesda, she plans to volunteer more in retirement, take more bike trips, travel and sleep later than 6:30 am. She is excited and looks forward to finally having the time to pursue her hobbies and enjoy retirement.

“Fishing is one of my big hobbies, and my husband and I want to do that,” Buel said.”I also read and cycle.”

Buel had some words of wisdom to share with her students:

“Use your experience and education to make an impact in your community, state or country,” Buel said. “Definitely live your life to the fullest and let your passions guide you.”