SMOB elections near

RM+junior+Rachit+Agarwal+is+campaigning+around+MCPS+for+the+new+SMOB+position.+

Photo courtesy of Rachit Agarwal

RM junior Rachit Agarwal is campaigning around MCPS for the new SMOB position.

By Zeenat Hammond, Photo Editor

On March 5 the annual Student Member of the Board (SMOB) Nominating Convention announced its final two candidates.

Bethesda-Chevy Chase sophomore Eric Guerci and Richard Montgomery junior Rachit Agarwal have been selected to participate in the final election on April 29.

Members of these campaign teams have been working with students, including CHS freshmen Katie He and Omisa Jinsi, on their campaign.

Candidates have to actively campaign in order to receive votes.

Campaign team members play important roles such as advertising, setting goals and scheduling school visits.

“The process for everyone varies, as each person plays a different role in the campaign,” He said.

The candidate who receives the highest number of votes from middle and high school students wins the SMOB seat.

The one-year position of SMOB enables the student to have a vote equal to the seven adult Board of Education members. The SMOB votes on issues like administrative appointments, the hiring of the Superintendent and Board policy and legislation.

Both candidates have big plans in store if they win.

“My number one priority is empowering students through a strong voice on the Board, which will start with communication,” Guerci said.

Agarwal wants open communication and open technology.

“I plan on building an app called MocoLounge that lets students talk to me, the Board, and each other on a forum,” Agarwal said. “I also plan on bringing free apps and software such as Google Classroom, and MyHomework to all the classrooms to improve student-teacher relationships and student organization.”

As SMOB, either Agarwal or Guerci will represent 153,852 MCPS students, and the SMOB elections allow young students to learn the power of their vote.

“I really enjoy the learning experience that this has been for me,” Agarwal said. “I’ve learned so much from students of all ages and backgrounds around the county, and I’m excited and honored to be a candidate,” Agarwal said.