Some last minute advice from Scooby Doo

Senior year is an exciting time for a high school student, but the year can be so packed with activities and responsibilities that it’s difficult to slow down and enjoy yourself while covering all the bases. From having seniority at school to being on the brink of adulthood, time is overbooked with studying, extracurricular activities and decisions about your future. Listed are some must-haves and must-dos in order to get the most out of your final year.

1. Have No Social Reservations:

Try hanging out with different people than the same group you’ve been with throughout high school. CHS can be cliquey, but you don’t have to let the unofficial social rules always dictate to whom you talk. Branch out one day by talking to someone who’s outside your group.

2. Wear Something Bold Just Because You Love It:

Take a cue from Lady Gaga and wear something unique to school—just for the sake of trying something new. Who knows, you might even get some unexpected compliments on it. Take risks, and don’t let others’ opinions or judgments stop you.

3. Say ‘Yes’ To Everything for a Day:

Take a note from the legendary Jim Carrey in Yes Man—within reason of course. Answering in the affirmative to every request and invitation for a day is a great way to broaden horizons. You might even find yourself saying “yes” more often. Move outside your comfort zone from time to time, and take advantage of opportunities that arise.

4. Confess Your Feelings:

When it comes to prom, there’s practically no such thing as going overboard. Planning an epic promposal is an obvious must-have. Until you get engaged, it’s your only opportunity to declare your affection for someone in a super-fun, completely over-the-top way. Going on or asking someone out on a formal date is another exciting way to show that special person you care.

5. Explore Your Interests:

The inevitable question all seniors hear is, “What are you going to do with the rest of your life?” Students who have taken time to explore their interests are best equipped to have an appropriate answer. Try new experiences regardless of what friends and family might say. Whether you have a passion for acting, photography, nature, teaching or video games, senior year is a great time to try things that might help decide your future.

6. Do Spring and Summer Break Right:

Don’t just sit around doing homework over spring break, and don’t take on a soul-draining job the second you get your diploma. Instead, make plans to go on a fun vacation with friends. After everybody moves off to college, it will be difficult to have that kind of time together again. Take a trip with them while you’re still rooted in the same place.

7. Be Spontaneous and Have Fun:

This is a last chance to be a kid and take some risks. Go on a spontaneous road trip or jump in a pool with clothes on. While it is important to be on top of school work and college applications, it’s also important to make your last year exciting and memorable.

8. Spend More Time with Family:

As well as spending a lot of time with friends because it’s your last year, time spent with family is also vital. This especially goes out to those who are going out of state or abroad for college.

9. Show Appreciation:

For all of those who have helped and cared for you along your high school journey, they deserve a thank you. All of us have at least one teacher, parent, sibling, guidance counselor or even friend who’s had a profound impact on us. Before you graduate, make sure you let that person know how much they have influenced you—they’ll appreciate it.

10. Take Lots of Photos:

Everyone has a camera, so why not make good use of it? You will want to look back at this time one day, and it will be nice to have plenty of photos to help you remember.

Be sure to make the most of your last year before college. Create your own senior year bucket list full of things you want to do or accomplish by graduation day. It’s been a great four years; make sure to make the most of it.