New iPhone app simplifies college visit planning

The multiple aspects that go into planning a successful college trip can often be stressful for students and their parents. In an attempt to make the process simpler, Chevy Chase moms Susan Jones and Elizabeth Van Sant launched Quad2Quad this past summer.

Quad2Quad is an iPhone and iPad app that offers information and tips on visiting colleges all over the US. The free version offers information about Harvard, Boston College, MIT, Brandeis and Tufts. The premium version costs $4.99 and includes information about 74 additional schools.

“The purpose of this app is to simplify college visit planning and save parents and students from having to comb multiple college websites to get the information they need to set up a successful visit,” Jones said. “The purpose is to use technology to take the hassle out of the planning, and hopefully add a little fun to the process.”

The app offers an alert system that shares information about an individual college’s calendar, interviews, parking, tours and more.

“This app has a unique alert system that keeps families from making mistakes on trips like missing interviews when they are available, showing up without reservations, and gives a heads-up on the college calendar and the real scoop on parking,” Jones said. “We have collected all the relevant data for you and assembled it in one spot.”

College admissions officers throughout the country have received positive feedback about Quad2Quad.

Laura Tapper, senior assistant director of admissions at Tufts University, encourages students and parents to use any method in order to have a successful college visit.

“I think anything that helps people in a more organized way is helpful,” Tapper said.

CHS senior Alden Knife thinks this app will be helpful when visiting colleges she is unfamiliar with.

“You have to rely so much on the computer for information about a school, but when you go to visit the school you do not have access to a computer, so this app would be very convenient,” Knife said. “I would use it to look up information on a school that I do not know a lot about.”

By January, Jones plans to add 300 more colleges to the app. Jones and Van Sant also plan to integrate a social media component into Quad2Quad sometime in the future.

“We plan to add a social networking element for students to text other visitors en route and connect with ambassadors on campus with similar interests so they feel less ‘out of it’ and ‘stuck with parents’ when they arrive,” Jones said.