Science classes replace computers with Netbooks

The PTSA bought 10 Dell Netbook laptops this year, using left-over funds from the previous school year.

According to PTSA president Geri Shapiro, each Netbook cost around $460 dollars and they are currently being used in science classes, including Honors Biology and AP Enviornmental Science (APES).

“The Netbooks were bought to replace the computers in the science labs,” Information Technology specialist Robert Jones said. “When we updated the computers over the summer, we weren’t sure whether we would get the laptops, so we didn’t remove the computers.”

Netbooks are small, light-weight and inexpensive laptop computers primarily used for Internet access.

According to Jones, the main advantage of laptops and Netbooks is that they are more portable than desktop computers. Netbooks are also cheaper than other laptops and desktops, and have a longer battery life compared to laptops.

“The laptops were part of the modernization process,” Principal Joan Benz said. “They can be used in any class, not just the science department, since they are totally mobile and can be wheeled to any class that needs them.”

Students and teachers have positively responded to the Netbooks.

“I regularly use the laptops in AP Environmental Science and Honors Biology,” science teacher Gary Rogers said. “Students seem to enjoy the opportunity to better connect with the material in an engaging fashion.”

According to Rogers, while the laptops are user-friendly, there are not enough for every student, and their durability and security are not that high.

“A disadvantage would definitely be how easy it is to break a laptop, and the cost of stock and replacement,” sophomore Kallie Williams said. “[But] I like them a lot. I feel like it’s a more interactive way to learn.”

According to Jones, since the school installed wireless this year, buying and using laptops has become easier. However, the updated desktop computers are still better overall than the laptops, since portable devices are always slower than desktops, as they run at a lower voltage.

Although both Benz and Jones acknowledge the advantages of having more portable technology in the school, such as Kindles, the possibility of buying such items is slim at this time due to the budget restrictions.