New Superintendent selected for 2011-2012 school year

The Montgomery County Board of Education (BOE) unanimously ap­pointed Joshua Starr the new MCPS Superintendent May 1. Starr will of­ficially take over for current Super­intendent Jerry Weast July 1.

Starr is currently finishing his sixth year as Superintendent for the Stamford Public School System in Connecticut. He was chosen from three finalists to replace Weast.

According to an e-mail from Montgomery County Education As­sociation (MCEA) President Doug Prouty, Starr was chosen because he appeared intelligent, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Starr plans to include many different parties in his executive decisions, especially tak­ing into account teachers’ opinions.

Starr will face greater responsi­bilities when he, his wife and three children move from Stamford, where he oversees the education of 15,000 students, to Montgomery County, where he will oversee the education of nearly 145,000 students.

Despite the size difference between the two school systems, Starr wrote in a letter to Stamford Public Schools staff members that both school systems fo­cus on raising academic standards and progressing in education. According to the letter, Starr is honored to serve as MCPS Superintendent.