Community center to open in North Potomac

After a decade of planning, designing and forming a team, the North Potomac Community Center will begin construction on Travilah Road, near Big Pines Local Park, by August 2011.

The new community center plans to include several ­­­activity rooms, such as a gym, a game room, an exercise room and a social hall.  The idea for the center was originally pitched in an effort to bring the Darnestown, Gaithersburg, Potomac and Rockville communities together, and will provide activities for all ages and abilities. 
    “The center will provide a long range of recreational facilities and programs,” Department of Recreation division chief Jeff A. Bourne said. “In addition, community recreation centers enhance the identity of the community, and contribute to the overall health of communities.”

According to Bourne, there were some initial environmental hazard concerns regarding lead, which was found in the synthetic turf field that the community center is to be built on.  However, the Department of Recreation assured the community, at a meeting held Oct. 14, that the new building will be LEED certified, eco-friendly and safe. 

“The community center will also prevent any future impacts to the site by protecting large portions of the site as wetland and stream buffer areas,” Bourne said.  “We intend to enhance the environment, by planting green roofs to help storm water runoffs and a host of other environmental improvements.” 
    The center hopes to bring the community together and offer activities for everyone.

“The construction was essentially a response to the need in the community,” Bourne said.  “There are many different programs and activities that will serve the entire community, including active and passive recreation for all residents.”