Cuba detains Potomac man

Former CHS parent Alan Gross has been imprisoned in Cuba since Dec. 3 after he was arrested by Cuban authorities while attempting to leave from the Havana airport to return home.

Gross was working in Cuba as part of the organization Development Alternatives, Inc. (DAI), which has operated in more than 150 countries since its founding in 1970. DAI’s purpose is to help developing nations become more prosperous.

DAI president and CEO Dr. James Boomgard issued a Jan. 7 statement in which he said “[Gross is] a committed development professional with many years of experience providing humanitarian and development assistance worldwide.”

Gross’ work focused on providing members of the Cuban Jewish community unbarred internet access in order to connect and communicate with other Jewish communities around the world.

“His activities included the distribution of basic IT equipment such as cell phones and laptops designed to facilitate this communication,” Boomgard said in the statement.

Cuban authorities claim that Gross used sophisticated technology to help opposition groups act as mercenaries for the U.S. Back home, some speculation has arisen about whether he was involved in U.S. espionage activities, and whether that was the cause of his arrest.

However, DAI claims that his activities were not politically based or war-like.

“Specifically, he was working with a peaceful, non-dissident civic group, a religious and cultural group recognized by the Cuban government,” Boomgard said in the statement.

However, Cuban penal code states that an individual distributing resources that come from the U.S. government is subject to a three-to-eight year prison sentence.

Communication between Gross and those in the United States has been limited in the last few months.

“I’ve spoken to him five times,” Gross’ wife Judy said. “It’s haphazard; there’s no schedule.”

According to Judy, Gross wants to hear news from home, especially how his family is doing.

Gross’ two daughters, Nina and Shira, graduated from CHS in 2005 and 2001, respectively.

Currently, many U.S. government officials are involved in the campaign to bring Gross home.

“We’re working with the state department and Congressional leaders to try to get in contact with the Cubans to figure out what they want,” Judy said.

Maryland senator Benjamin Cardin wrote to both Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and to Cuban governmental officials urging a quick and safe return for Gross.

However, Gross still remains in prison, although he has not been formally charged.

To join the campaign to help him get home, contact Senator Cardin or Barbara Mikulski as well as House Representative Chris Van Hollen. 

To contact Cardin, the website http://cardin.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm lists how he can be reached. Also, visit http://mikulski.senate.gov/Contact/index.cfm for Mikulski’s contact information. Van Hollen’s information may be found at http://vanhollen.house.gov/Contact/.