SGA classes plan upcoming events, fundraisers

To raise money for the senior class prom, the Class of 2010 will be hosting its first annual mulch sale on Friday, April 9 after school, and all day Saturday, April 10 and Sunday, April 11.

“This is a great way to meet other students and earn community service hours,” senior Alex Leventer said.

Leventer learned that many other high schools in the county have had annual mulch sales for a few years now and were able to raise a lot of money.

“Since I have my own landscaping business, I understand the huge market for mulch in Potomac,” said senior Kohler Brafford, another student helping to run the mulch sale. “With my experience, I figured I could be a big help to the senior class.”

The mulch sale organizers contacted all CHS feeder schools to distribute fliers to students, spoke to the schools’ PTSAs, created commercials for the CHS news show and created signs to be posted on busy streets.

Each bag of mulch costs $5 and there is a 12-bag minimum purchase for home delivery.

The Class of 2011 has many fundraising projects planned for the coming months.

“The junior class, 2011 executive board and myself are striving to raise as much money as we can to eliminate added stress next year,”junior class sponsor Brendan Roddy said.

According to junior class president Janey Asher, the recent sweatpant and sweatshirt spirit wear sales made $1,400 in profits.  This spring, the class of 2011 will be selling t-shirts and lacrosse-style shorts for warm weather spirit wear, along with senior shirts for girls to wear on the first day of school in the fall.

Asher also said that other fundraising events will include a dunk tank booth at the school carnival May 15, where Roddy will be dunked. A community movie night is tentatively planned for May 22, which will be open to the entire Potomac community.  The class also plans to hold car washes in April and May.

The class of 2011 is also planning a silent auction for the fall which will include a weekend trip to Hawaii and private pottery lessons with Roddy.

With a busy schedule of events from fundraisers to volunteer work, the Class of 2012 has set many goals for itself.

In February, the Class of 2012 held a fundraiser at the Subway in Cabin John shopping center.

“[Subway] was good for us to do, and hopefully next year when people can drive we can do somewhere in Falls Grove, like Mama Lucia,” sophomore class sponsor Jennifer Lubenetski said.
    The class is looking forward to its carnival booth, in which they give out a live goldfish as the prize.

Another project involves getting students to volunteer by selling merchandize at the Verizon Center during entertainment events. The Verizon Center will give a certain portion of the sales to the volunteers, generating more money for the class.

The main goal of the Class of 2012’s fundraising is to make sure that there will no problem covering the costs of prom and senior banquet. But it is also very important to the officers that everybody gets involved.

“I want to inspire a new sense of community within the class, where everyone can get involved and do their part to make our class run effectively for everyone,” class president Zac Vogel said.

The CHS freshman Class of 2013 has scheduled a Battle of the Bands to take place mid-spring. Tickets will be $10 and all of the money will go to charity. Any band may participate as long as one member of the band is a CHS student or alumni.

“We’re really excited about the Battle of the Bands because this is going to be the first year we’re handling it,” freshman class president Aaron Ross said.

After spring break, the freshman class is planning a pizza sale to take place in the Bulldog lobby and possibly a movie night before the end of the school year.