Relief pours in to help efforts in Haiti

The 7.0 magnitude earthquake that devastated the nation of Haiti this January has stirred the conscience of the CHS community, and many are taking action to raise money for the impoverished country.

The SGA, along with other CHS clubs and groups, is doing its part to raise money to help Haiti.

“The Haiti earthquake and its aftermath have been absolutely devastating,” senior SGA president Meenu Singh said. “I think we can compare Haiti’s earthquake to our Katrina: lives have been lost, homes have been destroyed and for a large group of people, hope has been shattered.”

CHS donations for aid in Haiti are increasing because the funds from the SGA’s annual fundraisers are now being directly sent to Haitian relief.

“The SGA’s next big event is Mr. Churchill, which is coming up on March 18,” Singh said.“We will be placing a jug for each Mr. Churchill contestant outside of the main office. Students are invited to place money in their favorite contestant’s jug. The money raised will not only determine 10 percent of the vote for the Mr. Churchill competition, but will also go to an organization dedicated solely to Haiti relief.”

While school-sponsored groups have had a large role in fundraising efforts, other members of the student body are doing their part to raise awareness as well. 

Sophomore Will Mulhern is buying and selling blue and red wristbands to students.  He expects to raise $600 to $1,560. Mulhern custom-made the wristbands online to feature the Haitian national flag colors and all proceeds will go to Haiti relief efforts.
    Senior Rachel Bonaparte has donated to Haiti via text message.

“It’s wonderful and it gives you the satisfaction of knowing that you’re assisting people that need your help,” Bonaparte said.

Mulhern and Singh both recommend that students watch the news and read newspaper articles on Haiti so that they can remain informed on relief efforts and important developments.

Singh suggests working with community organizations, such as restaurants and churches, to donate toiletry items because the people in Haiti lack basic necessities for everyday life.

“The ways that an average student can help are only limited by his or her willingness to take initiative,” Singh said.