Soccer organization assists girls abroad

Soccer Without Borders (SWB) is using soccer as a vehicle for positive change in the lives of marginalized youth in foreign countries. A non-profit organization based in San Francisco, SWB raises money for disadvantaged youth who lack access to quality sport and education opportunities.

The program caters to young women in particular because in many countries, women do not receive the same privileges and opportunities as men.

Founded in 2006 by former Lehigh University soccer player Ben Gucciardi, the program runs projects in Central America, Asia and Africa.

“Kids are given opportunities to be involved in teams, practices and events where they feel part of a group and community,” said Katlin Okamoto, director of girls programs for SWB. “Beyond the stability they get in knowing that there will be practice every week or an event on the weekends, they are also building relationships with their peers and mentors that positively affect their everyday lives.”

SWB hopes the young women who participated in this organization will grow up to realize that it is possible for them to be successful and take the initiative to continue making positive changes in their communities. 

For more information, email [email protected], or call (415) 587-1399.