College Shirt Day Falls Before College Decision Day

Photo Courtesy of Katie Gauch

Last year, CHS seniors displayed their college decisions by wearing their college shirts to school on May 1. This year, seniors will be wearing them April 22.

By Fiona Asbury, Senior Writer

CHS seniors will be wearing college shirts and other college paraphernalia to school April 22 to display pride for their college decision. The date by which most students must commit to a college is May 1.

According to senior class co-President Eli Promisel, CHS decided on April 22 as the date after First Lady Michelle Obama encouraged communities across the nation to host a College Signing Day or have members wear their college shirts on  April 26 to promote higher education. April 26 interferes with primary elections in Maryland, however, and CHS students will not be in school that day. Thus, April 22 was chosen instead.

April 22 is also the day for the Senior Breakfast and the senior class panoramic picture, in which most students will be wearing their college shirt.

In the past years, seniors have worn their college shirts on May 1 to coincide with the National College Decision day.  However, this year, May 1 falls on a Sunday, which caused the College Shirt day to be moved around.

Since the College Shirt Day is falling before all students must officially commit, several CHS seniors are feeling rushed to make their big decision before April 22.

According to senior Janna Rudolf, moving up the College Shirt day at CHS has “added some pressure” to her college decision.

“I want to be able to make my decision and be a part of that day, but I’m not sure I will be able to,” Rudolf said. “I honestly am not sure what I will do if I don’t make a decision by then.”

However, the day is intended to be a positive experience for all, rather than an additional source of stress. Whether seniors make their decisions by April 22 or choose to wait until Monday, May 2 to show their college pride at school, deciding on a college is an important decision that should not be rushed.

“In the end, no one is forcing anyone to do anything,” Promisel said. “I’ll probably wear [my college shirt] both days.”