Umttr to Host Dance

By Fiona Asbury, Editor-in-Chief

Although the senior class is the last class to have been at CHS during the tragic 2013 loss of then sophomore Evan Rosenstock, the effects of his death are still present in the CHS community, especially through the Umttr (pronounced “You matter”) organization.

According to the Umttr website, it was founded in response to Rosenstock’s suicide, and seeks to prevent a similar instance from occurring again by promoting a “compassionate culture where every person matters.”

Umttr has already hosted many events to promote mental health for students. Its most recent event is the Umttr uDance which will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 23 at 8 p.m. at The Fillmore Silver Spring.

According to the uDance flyer, the event is a dance party for students as a way to spread awareness of the five signs of emotional suffering and raise funds for Umttr’s suicide prevention mission.

To attend the dance, donations of $10 in advance or $15 at the door are requested. Registration is available online through umattr.org

“The uDance is new,” math teacher and CHS Staff Sponsor Curtis Southworth said. “One of the private school members of Umttr is a DJ, so he suggested a multi-school dance.”

DJ Arno will be among the celebrity guests, fog machines and guest speakers making the event a positive experience to talk about the goals of Umttr and an enjoyable night out with friends.

The organization, which focuses on teen suicide prevention, was started by CHS alumnus Eric Roberts along with other CHS students, with the support of Evan’s mother, Sue.

“When something tragic happens at a school, they find Umttr,” Southworth said. “It helps them deal with tragedy.”