Girls Soccer Makes School History

Senior+captain+Nicole+Brodkowitz+leads+the+girls+soccer+team+to+the+state+semifinal.+

Photo by Buck Phillips

Senior captain Nicole Brodkowitz leads the girls soccer team to the state semifinal.

By Michael Fox, Editor-in-Chief

The girls soccer team lost to Anne Arundel County’s Broadneck High School 1-0, Nov. 14 in the state semifinal game played at Richard Montgomery HS. Despite the loss, the Bulldogs were able to accomplish something no previous CHS girls soccer team had ever done before-playing in the state semifinals.

The team had a plethora of talent this year after graduating eight players, six of them being previous starters. Senior captains Nicole Brodkowitz, Lauren Mackie, Juliana Comer and junior captain Frannie Phillips led the team to its 10-1-1 regular season and 13-2-1 overall record.

“At the beginning of the season I wasn’t sure how the season was going to progress,” head coach Haroot Hakopian said. “I knew that we were very talented, but we had a relatively young team. It was going to be about being able to put all of the talent and work together to reach our goals.”

The team surely exceeded its expectations. The girls won the division for the first time since 2009 and had to overcome tough intradivisional competition to make its playoff run. The Dawgs defeated B-CC in overtime, 1-0, Nov. 3 in its first playoff appearance.

According to Comer, her favorite moment from this year was when she scored the game-winning goal against B-CC to advance CHS to the next round of the playoffs. Comer scored 20 goals and had 13 assists over the course of the season.

The Bulldogs also defeated WJ in the second round of the playoffs, 3-2, Nov. 6, and Northwest in the 4A regional finals, 1-0, Nov. 10.

The team relied on its unquestioned defense as well as its up-tempo offense to overcome opponents. The team only allowed nine goals over the course of the entire season, and managed to put up an incredible 69 goals against opponents. Junior goalie Danielle Katz proved herself to be a top goalie in the division, and attackers Comer and freshman Jane Alcott took responsibility for the offensive domination.

“The defensive line, especially since we moved Frannie back to playing a defensive position, has been extremely organized, and they do a great job shutting down some of the top players on the other teams,” Hakopian said.

Even with the disappointing loss for the girls soccer team at the end of its lengthy playoff run, the girls are proud of their accomplishments this season.

“I was bummed when the season ended, but I’m really proud of our season,” Comer said. “It was awesome to even go to the semifinal.”