Four WCHS winter sports teams win division champions title

Courtesy of Lisa Walsh

The WCHS Varsity Poms team took first place at their county competition on Feb. 1, 2020 at Blair High School.

By Kathy Hu, Online Editor

The winter of 2019-2020 was a historic season for WCHS sports. The season featured a total of four division championships and was a great representation of all of the hard work all the athletes put in throughout the year. Division Championships were won by boys swim and dive, poms, girls varsity basketball and boys varsity basketball. 

Boys Swim and Dive

Upholding their longstanding tradition of success, the boys swim team defended their title of division champions for yet another year. The team is led by senior captains Noah Rutberg, Matthew Lawrence and Ziad Bandak.

“I’m really happy we won divisionals this year because we’ve been working really hard all season,” senior Riley McGuire said. “It’s bittersweet because I’m really happy we won but I’m sad that it’s my last divisionals.”

Poms 

After their recent transition to division three this year, the poms team took home the division tite, competing at their county competition on Feb. 1, 2020 at Blair High School. The team is led by talented seniors Danielle Miller and Lisa Walsh, who have both been on the team for the past four years. 

“I’m happy with the way our season played out and I’m so proud of our team for getting first place,” senior Danielle Miller said. “I’m sad I’ll never get to compete at counties again but this was a great way to end off my senior season.”

Girls Varsity Basketball 

The girls varsity basketball team has lived up to their expectations so far this season, as they remain undefeated in the 2019-2020 season. They captured the title of division champions for the second straight year, led by senior captain Brittini Martin. 

“It’s always nice to see our hard work pay off and I’m so excited to see what playoffs has in store for this team,” senior Madison Cuthbert said. 

Boys Varsity Basketball 

The boys varsity basketball team posted a division record of 7-1, with an overall record of 12-4. The team is led by Jomo Goings, who averages a remarkable 24.9 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.8 steals. 

“Our team has come a long way since last year when we lost to Whitman in the playoffs,” senior Ryan Flax said. “Ever since then we have been more motivated than ever to be successful this season and be division champs. Through late night workouts and film watching and thanks to the help of our coaches, manager and student section, we were able to win our division this year and we’re looking forward to the playoffs.”

As we head into the spring sports season, WCHS hopes to continue this historic year of success.