Girls Soccer Looks to Continue Strong Play

Photo Courtesy of Buck Phillips

The Girls Soccer team warms up before a game. The team is off to a 3-1-1 start and hopes to compete for the State Chamionship again.

By Kyle Emery, Sports Editor

Coming off a nearly perfect 2015 season, the girls varsity soccer team plans to use different approaches this year in order to win the state title.

By appointing senior captains Frannie Phillips and Danielle Katz as well as junior Molly Olcott early in the season, the team has more time to develop new strategies and skills before the arrival of the regular season.

“After basing our attack around our starters throughout the 2015 season, we want to create a more centered attack, instead of one person scoring a majority of the goals,” head coach Haroot Hakopian said.

As far as goals go for the team, incorporating different approaches and techniques will help give the team an extra edge over the course of the season.

“Our main strategy is to be the most fit and hard working team in the county,” Phillips said.

As far as the overall size of the team this year, Hakopian expanded the team from about 20 to 24 players in order to help to build a better and stronger team over the years to come.

“We have a great mix of players this year, with each player’s ability and strength being a central contribution for the team,” Hakopian said.

As a result of the expansion, Hakopian has added four freshmen to the roster, one being Jordan Estes, who plans to build off the team’s strategies and incorporate her young talent.

“My goal for this year is to train as hard as I can and to become a better player as well as team member throughout this season,” Estes said.

The team has not only considered new approaches towards the season, but has made many improvements, including building an inclusive environment for new-comers on the team.

“We have really built a great atmosphere on and off the field this year,” Phillips said.

Competition for the team seems to vary each year. Teams including Walter Johnson, Whitman and BCC all have been “tough competitors” in the past, according to Hakopian.

So far, the team has made a successful debut, with wins against both Wootton and Rockville as well as tying Urbana, making their record 3-1-1, as of 9/25.

“I think that every team we face this year is going to be really challenging because we have a target on our backs after our successful season last year,” Olcott said. “As long as we stay focused and intense, I believe that no one can beat us.”

According to Hakopian, one of his main goals for the season is to improve over the course of the season as well as hopefully preparing everyone for the playoffs. An abundance of injuries prior to starting the playoffs in 2015 may have cost the team their championship, but he will not let that happen this year.