Athlete of the Month

Lewis used his speed and agility to benefit him on the football field and on the track as he scored touchdowns and beat times for CHS

Photo courtesy of Marquette Lewis

By Cristian Edwards, Online Sports Editor

He seems to be everywhere. You can find him breaking tackles on the football field or blowing past other sprinters on the track.S

enior Marquette Lewis has had the goal of being a part of the top sprinters on the extremely talented CHS track team since the beginning of his career.

“All four years there has been that elite group of sprinters making finals for all the big meets,” Lewis said. “I remember saying in the back of my mind, ‘I want to catch them and pass them,’ and now I’m in that elite group.”

Lewis’ mindset has propelled him to be the best in every aspect on both the track and football field.

Lewis has been on varsity outdoor track since his freshman year and indoor track since his sophomore year.

Track coach David Warren speaks very highly of Lewis, and has seen Lewis grow both as an athlete and as a person.

“I have been with him for four years,” Warren said. “He shows up every day, works hard and makes kids around him better. He has really grown into a fine young man off the track.  On the track he is a fantastic competitor and a great teammate.”

To go along with Lewis’ high aspirations as a sprinter, Warren believes that he is one of the best sprinters in the state and can achieve any goal he puts his mind to.

According to Lewis, his main goal for outdoor track season was to break the 1979 school record in the 4×100 and 4×200, along with seniors Noah Jankel, Jabari Butler and Oda Assamaiduo. Battling a hamstring injury in the beginning of the outdoor season, nothing will stop Lewis to leave a lasting mark on CHS track.

Although his goal is right in front of him, the hamstring injury still lingers, and the chance of breaking the record is becoming a little more improbable. Nonetheless, Lewis will still work and compete to remain one of the best sprinters in the state.

Football was Lewis’ first sport, dating back to flag football when he was in the fifth grade, but he knew that he always loved running track. His favorite parts of track are the competition, and the friendships he made with his teammates. However, along with the social aspect of the sports, he never lost sight of his goal to break personal and school records.

“My favorite part of track is the relays, working hard with my teammates and perfecting my hand offs,” Lewis said. “Working together is key in an attempt to break our school record, which we are close to.”

This past indoor track season, Lewis finished seventh in the state for the 300-meter sprint, and is ranked sixth in counties for the 200-meter dash in the outdoor season. Lewis broke his own personal record in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22 seconds.

In the future, Lewis hope to compete on the track team at the University of Maryland in the 2016 spring semester. Lewis is optimistic he will make the team, but if he doesn’t, then he will pursue joining the UMD rugby team.

With every obstacle Lewis has faced including a devastating hamstring injury before the outdoor season began, his mind is still set on the present, with the 1979 4×100 and 4×200 records fueling his drive.

“This record is the legacy I hope to leave, the legacy of our relay team breaking the 1979 record,” Lewis said.