For Bulldogs, winning isn’t just about the score

The+Bulldogs+practice+after+school+to+continue+improving+their+record.+Camaraderie+and+work+ethic+are+just+some+of+the+benefits+of+the+season+for+the+team.+

Photo by Joel Goldstein

The Bulldogs practice after school to continue improving their record. Camaraderie and work ethic are just some of the benefits of the season for the team.

By Joel Goldstein, Staff Writer

The boys varsity basketball team hasn’t reached its expectations so far, having a record of 4-15 in its first 19 games.

Along the rough road, the Bulldogs have learned important values, such as perseverance and unity, without always being able to win.

“Being on a team has taught me values and work ethic,” junior guard Michael Yazdani said. “It teaches me how to work with others as a team.”

Head coach Robert Bean has noticed recent progress from the team despite its losing record.

“We are better and we are playing better than what our record indicates,” Bean said. “They are pretty optimistic moving forward.”

The players manage to keep a high morale and continues to improve, often using their relationships to help them.

“I have become good friends with everyone on the team and they all feel like brothers to me,” sophomore Henry Njumbe said. “We all tell each other everything, starting from problems on the court, to problems off the court.”

Despite starting the season 0-9, the team’s recent success has given them hope.

“We keep our confidence because we know we have the ability to complete with all the teams we have played,” Yazdani said. “The team focuses on future games and doesn’t think about the past losses.”

Throughout all of this, the team has shown great desire to succeed.

“I think a lot of it has to do with their competitiveness,” Bean said. “They love competing they want to win.”

According to athletic director Scott Rivinius, regardless of the sport’s or team’s record, players can learn a lot about themselves as a group and as an individual.

“This will help you build character, drive and determination that will help you when you leave CHS.” Rivinius said.