Redskins fans unsure about new GM McCloughan

New+Redskins+GM+Scot+McCloughan+%28left%29+led+both+the+49ers+and+Seahawks+to+a+Super+Bowl+appearance.+

Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons

New Redskins GM Scot McCloughan (left) led both the 49ers and Seahawks to a Super Bowl appearance.

By Ben Dross, Staff Writer

After the promotion of Bruce Allen, former Redskins General Manager turned President of Football Operations, CHS students are not very optimistic about the hiring of General Manager Scot McCloughan.

McCloughan is known to be a high profile scout, credited with drafting players like Patrick Willis, Frank Gore, Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman. He played an integral role in creating teams, such as the Seahawks (2010-2014) and 49ers (2005-2010), with both teams reaching a Super Bowl using many of the players drafted. He has been forced to leave jobs with both teams because of problems with alcohol. Many of his alcohol problems stemmed from stress when dealing with football, making many Redskins fans worry about this high profile hire.

“I don’t think he will have a big impact,” freshman Daniel Pyo said.

According to Pyo, he hopes that if anything, McCloughan’s problems with drugs will not make the team worse than it was before.

However, Redskins owner Dan Snyder often overrides his staff when it comes to bringing in high profile players.

According to Senior Max Alpert, Snyder values money over winning, and could “possibly” interfere with how he chooses players and personnel.

CHS students are not big fans of the owner to begin with, and many feel he will hurt McCloughan’s performance.

“He will probably pressure [McCloughan] on a decision on RGIII,”  freshman Bradford Wood said. “He is the worst owner in the league.”

The main problem with the hiring of McCloughan, though, is his alcoholism, which has led to some troubling behavior.

According a December 2014 ESPN Magazine article, McCloughan would sneak vodka into Gatorade bottles during the workday, and he was forced to check into a rehab facility. Many critics worry that his off the field problems will interfere with his job as Redskins General Manager.

According to Wood, McCloughan’s action set “a bad example for the team.”

However, some people refer to McCloughan as the best talent evaluator in the NFL, something the Redskins have lacked for the last few years. With the Redskins struggling on both sides of the ball, it is crucial that McCloughan drafts the right players in this upcoming draft to help the team return to prominence.

“It’s good because [McCloughan] drafted good players,” Wood said. “The secondary and offensive line are big needs.”

McCloughan was responsible for the drafting of six 2014 Pro Bowlers in his tenures with the Seahawks and the 49ers, and the Redskins believe that his eye for talent will be helpful, but the fans are not fully on board. At CHS, the students are not so excited about the new kid on the block, and are hoping this hire does not turn out to be a mistake.