Crew dominates over opposing public schools

The crew teams started their season with two solid performances at the Head of Anacostia Sept. 29 and the Head of Potomac Sept. 30.

“I’m excited that we were able to start off the season well,” junior Dominic Singer said. “We did not start off last year’s season well, nor did we do well last season. This is a good sign.”

Despite having two regattas back-to-back, the boys eight boat won first place among public schools at the Head of Potomac. A total of 12 schools at the regattas, plus crews from Sarasota, Florida.

At the Head of Anacostia, the girls four and eight sweeps came in second place. Sarasota’s xperienced team that trains year-round was the only squad who placed in front of them.

A lot of the girls have been training over the summer and at extra practices,” junior Julia Taladay said. “I think they were ready to prove that they had been working hard to win.”

Both boys and girls placed high at the Head of Occoquan

Oct. 13. The boys four sweep was third out of 11 high school boats and second out of the public schools. Even though the girls eight sweep was competing with nationally-ranked rowing teams, they still managed to get fourth.

“We have a final regatta in a few weeks at the Occoquan River again,” junior Juli Lee said. “It’s going to be even bigger, with hundreds of clubs and schools participating. We’re all training and really hard, and I think we’ll do even better at our next regatta.”

The current roster for the boys team consists mostly of upperclassmen.

“If we want to be a lot more competitive we need to get many more freshmen and sophomores on the team,” Singer said.

The girls, on the other hand, have many rowers with only one year of experience.

“The guys have a little more experience on their team,” Taladay said. “It’s more solid than the girls, but all teams work on it, even at Olympic levels.”

The next and final regatta, the biggest of the season, will be Nov. 4 at the Occoquan River.