Girls soccer eliminated by B-CC for third straight year

The girls soccer team fell to B-CC 1-0 in the regional final for the third straight year Nov. 8.  

“With 1:34 left in double overtime B-CC scored,” coach Haroot Hakopian said. “It was a tremendous game and the teams played amazingly. Jackie Lambergman had a great penalty kick during the game, but the B-CC goalie caught it.”

In the playoffs CHS beat Whitman Nov. 1 and Walter Johnson Nov. 3.

CHS beat WJ 1-0 Nov. 3 with a goal from freshman Kate Reese in overtime. Junior goalie Becca Ewel prevented WJ from winning with a save in the last six minutes of the game.

“In the last five minutes of overtime, neither team had scored yet,” Hakopian said. “Zoe Forster passed the ball to Kate Reese who scored the winning goal.”

In the Whitman game Nov. 1, the Bulldogs won 2-1 in overtime with goals from Reese and senior captain Jenna Cantor.

“A lot was on the line for this particular game so we stepped it up and played with intensity and heart,” senior captain Jackie Lambergman said.  “Although we were the underdog, we proved that we can stick with any team and not give up no matter what odds are against us.”

The game ended with a score of 1-1 and went into overtime until Cantor scored the winning goal halfway into overtime.

“Whitman has not let in a single goal to an MCPS team all season, and we scored twice on them,” Hakopian said. “We played as a team and worked in harmony.”

CHS defeated Gaithersburg 6-1 Oct. 27 with goals from Cantor, senior Lucy Mangan and sophomore Eleni Boutsikaris. The defense held strong against Gaithersburg offense.

“[Senior] Hanna Taft played her best game this year,” Hakopian said. “The team scored many of its goals because of her work on the field.”

In the regular season CHS beat Einstein Oct. 24 and Wootton Oct. 20.

In the Einstein game, CHS won 4-0 with three goals from Cantor and a goal from senior Colby Ranck.

“Because this game was very insignificant we put players in positions that they do not normally play,” Hakopian said. “Annabelle Phillips played extremely well, and Brogan Plummer did a great job on the field.”

The Bulldogs beat the Wootton Patriots 2-1 with goals from junior Camille Chetrit and Cantor.

“We were becoming discouraged with the outcome of the game after the first half,” Hakopian said. “When Camille scored, she broke the ice in the game and got the team going.”

The team looks forward to next year and hopes to return triumphant.

“We had everything to prove, which is what we did,” Lambergman said. “Playoffs mean no regrets.”