Boys soccer thrills with wins over Urbana, Clarksburg

In previous years, the CHS boys soccer team has been strong and has performed well in many games. Unfortunately, due to the bad weather, many of its games have been postponed or rescheduled. However, the team won 2-1 against Paul VI Catholic, 6-1 against Mt. St. Joseph, 2-1 against Urbana and 3-0 against Clarksburg.

In the game against Clarksburg, Sept. 19, the Bulldogs started out slow in the first half, as the strong Clarksburg offense moved the ball well and had many shots on goal. However, senior Felipe Ros scored a goal in a fast counterattack.

“I thought we played poorly in the first half,” head coach Arnold Tarzy said. “However, we were extremely fortunate to have a one goal lead.”

In the second half, the Bulldogs came out strong and pressed offensively, as senior Dylan Regan scored, followed by another goal from Ros. With a strong start, the team is heading for ambitious goals.

“[Our goal] is to re-establish ourselves as a power in 4A Maryland state soccer,” Tarzy said.

As with all sports, the loss of the seniors hurt the team, but that has not stunted the team’s strong start, as talented new players, such as juniors Peter Giavotto, Eli Tobias and Matt Kramer, have filled the open holes left by the seniors.

“[The seniors] played well last year, but we have good new players to fill in the gaps,” senior captain Jack Butler said.

These new players have also filled other spots on the team left by players who didn’t join the team this year. According to senior captain Eric Ossola, the team not only lost seniors, but a lot of other starters from last year, including juniors Patrick Tshiani and Sander Yu.

However, they are still training hard and working on the aspects of soccer that will make the team that much better. According to Tarzy, the team has been working a lot on “defending as a team,” and on speed of play.

Just as in past years, the team continues to show its strength on the offensive end.

“We’re proven to be a pretty proficient attacking team,” Tarzy said.

The team not only will be physically and mentally ready for the season, but it will also be more unified and coordinated in the fall season.

“This year and last year we’ve had good team chemistry,” Ossola said.

According to Butler, the team goes to Ocean City each year, which brings the players together and helps them work better as a unified team.

All in all, CHS can look forward to a good season in boys’ soccer, as the team has stepped up and worked hard to try to be one of the best teams in the division.