Boys volleyball dominates

After last year’s season ended with a final record of 5-6, the boys volleyball team is hoping to improve this season, and started the season with a bang with wins against Whitman, Rockville and Kennedy, while only dropping one game against Northwest.

“Last year, our team did not do very well because we had many inexperienced players, but this year, we are doing great, with a great start,” senior Lan Jiang said.

The Bulldogs kicked off the season soundly, defeating Whitman at home 3-0 March 21. The win is a sign of progress, as they barely edged out a victory last year.

“We started off slow, which seems to be a problem in some of our games, but we soon came strong and finished,” junior Eugene Lin said.

CHS has showed especially solid this year. Rockville, among other schools, did not challenge the Bulldogs as much as they have in the past, and the Bulldogs defeated Rockville 3-0 March 23.

“I feel like we’re going to do a lot better this season,” Lin said. “The atmosphere is good, and we’re playing well.”

This season, the Bulldogs veteran starters have led the team on the court by being familiar with the plays and runs.

“Competition wise, I believe Wootton, Blair and Richard Montgomery are our biggest threats,” Jiang said.

The team’s main focus this year is to communicate well as a team and play well together to advance in the playoffs.

“Our team’s strength comes from our balance,” senior Matthew Lu said. “We have a great back row and strong hitters.”

The Bulldogs faced Northwood  High School April 6.