Golf team enters post season strong

The golf team headed into districts with high expectations and came out a co-winner with Damascus Oct. 4 at Poolesville Golf Course.

Despite wet, windy and cold weather, the team managed to tie Damascus at 317 shots, defeat Whitman by four and B-CC by six. The next tournament was states on Oct. 25 and 27.
“Many players stepped up their game at districts,” junior Phillip Ahn said. “We are going to continue to go through practice rounds in difficult-to-play weather conditions so we are prepared for states.”

Senior Bradley Rotter had an outstanding performance at districts, parring 17 holes in route of a team-low score of 72.

“Everytime I play, I pretend to play like it is an actual tournament so I am ready,” Rotter said.
Ahn also played well, placing second for CHS with a score of 77, shooting one birdie and parring 11 holes.

“Obviously for states, we all want to win, but as a team we have to encourage and belive in each other to come out strong and play well,” Ahn said. “Individually I want to play my best to do my part to win states.”

Senior captain Brandon Spiegel and senior Alex Lu also had respectable scores at 84. These two players along with Rotter and Ahn will represent CHS in states as they play at the University of Maryland golf course.

“The team will play the University of Maryland course as often as possible,” head coach Michael Fisher said. “We will discuss when to play conservatively and when to take advantage of opportunities when presented.”

Senior captain Sonia Gaur placed third in the girls districts and she will represent CHS in girls states.

“[Our team goal is to] practice as well as possible in all weather conditions,” Fisher said. “Then to play our best at states, and hopefully that will mean a top finish.”

Last year the team placed second in states, falling to Urbana, and it looks to get revenge this year as Urbana will play  again this year.