Easy regular season wins do not translate to playoffs

After reaching the playoffs, the boys volleyball team fell 0-3 to Wootton May 5 in the first playoff game.

Prior to the game against Wootton, the Bulldogs shifted into  high momentum as they easily defeated Walter Johnson April 30, 3-0. Even with the loss in the playoffs, the team felt content about the game results and had a positive attitude after the game.

“I told the team that as long as we could walk off the court feeling like we gave it a 100 percent and no regrets, then I would be proud of us,” coach Amanda Cook said. “We had a few great moments against Wootton and I think we were all able to walk away with our heads up.”

The team has succeeded in developing team chemistry, each individual’s skill level, and game tactics which the team focused on improving since the beginning of the season.

“I feel that everyone learned a lot this season and at the end of the season we emphasized being a team,” Cook said. “I felt that the team chemistry on the court improved, which was a goal we really wanted to achieve and that helped us take a game from Sherwood and have a close match with Walter Johnson.”

Next season, the team will lose senior setter Geoffrey Wang and looks to find replacements for a new setter and a middle blocker.

“Losing Geoffrey will have a big impact on our games because he was one of our only two setters,” freshman Alex Chiang said.

Cook has a positive outlook on the next season, as she is confident that the team has developed enough to reach further into the playoffs.

“I hope that next season we build our confidence and become a dominant team,” Cook said. “We have much potential to show.”