Girls lacrosse wins regional championship

The girls lacrosse team ended its season with a 22-2 loss to C.M. Wright in the state semifinals May 22.

CHS won the regional title May 19 after they defeated Sherwood, 17-7. This was after Sherwood defeated top-seeded Wootton in the regional semifinals.

CHS traveled to Blake May 17 after a coin flip gave Blake the home field advantage in the regional semifinals. Still, the Bulldogs defeated second seeded Blake, 20-10.

“I told them they must have quick decision making,” head coach Christen Pena-Ariet said. “And I told them where they needed to be and to know where their teammates were at all times.”

“We need to continue to play with heart in practice as well as in the games,” Pena-Ariet said. “We need to work as a team on offensive and defensive transition.”

The Lady Bulldogs earned the third seed in the playoffs which allowed them to have a first-round bye. Whitman came to CHS May 15 looking for their second playoff victory, but the Bulldogs did not allow that to happen as they won convincingly, 26-5.

“We dominated by winning every 50-50 ball,” Pena-Ariet said. “We moved the ball down the field as a team, played with heart and worked very hard in the practices before the game.”

The Bulldogs cruised through the end of their regular season schedule with blowout victories. Following an 18-13 loss at Damascus May 1, CHS headed into the playoffs on a three-game winning streak with victories against Walter Johnson, May 3, Paint Branch, May 6, and Seneca Valley, May 10.

CHS hosted Seneca Valley for senior night and came out on top with a 19-4 win. The team came out pumped up and was ready to defend their undefeated record at home.

“We worked as a team,” junior goalie Nicole Andrews said. “Offense had a lot of opportunities and defense was on their game.”

The 15-9 win against WJ was the closest win of this three-game stretch, with senior captain and Athlete of the Month Zoe Kabelac scoring six goals. Kabelac then had five goals in an 18-4 victory over Paint Branch.

“The team’s intensity was consistent from start to finish,” Pena-Ariet said.

Due to a couple of close games earlier this season, the Bulldogs have been focusing on some key aspects that will help them keep possession and win more games in the playoffs.

“We are working on different offensive plays and transitioning from defense to offense,” Pena-Ariet said. “Including working on where to be and movement off the ball.”

According to Andrews, CHS has practiced hard everyday and the captains have been helping the team get enthused with inspirational messages.

When it’s all said and done, there is no doubt that this year’s team will be remembered along with all its seniors. But next year, the Bulldogs will be ready to achieve this same success again.

“This team has a lot of spirit and pride,” Pena-Ariet said. “But next year will have a lot of shoes to fill since we have eight seniors graduating.”