Girls Lacrosse attributes success to teamwork

A new team typically does not immediately start working well together, but the girls lacrosse team has done a good job of coming close to that. Despite a loss against Wootton April 10, the girls have a 5-1 record with some of the game scores doubling their opponent’s score.

“I feel that if the girls listen and give a hundred percent then we can keep winning,” head coach Christen Ariet-Pena said.

The Bulldogs defeated Gaithersburg April 23, 17-8.

“In the beginning of the [Gaithersburg] game, the score kept on going back and forth,” junior Emily Heger said. “But as soon as we started using our plays, we got a bigger lead.”
The Bulldogs have run into some problems this year. The first problem was the snowstorm that forced the team to practice inside.

Then, during the Whitman game April 13 a lightning storm forced the game to stop and the whole game was replayed April 14. Also, CHS’ game against Northwest April 21 was postponed to a later date due to bad weather and field conditions.

Although the Bulldogs beat Whitman 18-8, they were worn out by the Vikings. Despite their exhaustion, they came back to defeat Richard Montgomery April 15, 20-7.

“I think we did really well,” senior captain Zoe Kabelac said. “We’ve been working on our plays and defense played well. We have been working on not fouling as much.”

The game against Richard Montgomery went well for the Bulldogs, with eight players scoring to defeat Richard Montgomery. Sophomore Mairin Hall had four goals, senior Sophia Ein had three goals and Kabelac had eight goals for the Bulldogs, while only missing one shot the whole game.
Kabelac took the position of being the natural leader of the team and has remained one of the top scorers for the Bulldogs.

“Its definitely getting better,” Kabelac said. “On the attack we are doing a lot better and [also] with transitions.”

The Bulldogs have four games remaining before playoffs, beginning with an away game against Damascus April 30 at 7 p.m.

“We need to keep working hard in practice, continue working on our plays and work as a team,” Heger said. “We want to go far in the playoffs.”

Parker Robb contributed to this story.