Track and field succeeds without discipline

Though the track and field squad has lacked discipline throughout the season, it has continued to perform at a high level.

The girls and boys finished fourth and third, respectively, in the Viking Invitational, held annually at Whitman April 17, but their head coach believes they can do better.

“We need a lot better discipline,” head coach Scott Silverstein said. “Our team just does not listen sometimes.”

Silverstein believes that the more discipline they put in, the better they will run during the their next races.

“When we listen, we do well,” Silverstein said. “If our heads are not into it, then we won’t perform as well as we would like to.”

Though official captains have not been picked, senior Maryam Fikri has tried to hold the position.

According to Fikri, she “leads the way” for others during workouts, as well as “encourages everybody to try harder.”

Fikri has also asserted herself as one of the best runners on the team, finishing fourth in the 1600-meter and second in the 800-meter at the Viking Invitational.

“I am a week ahead of how I was running a year ago, so I feel like I can accomplish more things than I did last year,” Fikri said.

Another runner who has risen above the others is junior Robert Bowis, who finished 2nd in the 400-meter and the 4×100-meter relay.

“I really ran and felt well during both of the races,” Bowis said. “When you feel like that, you can do great things.”

Bowis, along with a group of runners including sophomore Micah Phillips-Spencer and senior Katie Wolf competed in the Penn Relays April 25.

“I’m really excited for the Relays because I have raced extremely well this year and this is a great way to show off all that I have done so far,” Bowis said.