Quick tips to help you make the cut this spring

It’s that time of year again when spring sports tryouts are just around the corner. This is the time when many students are preparing for the upcoming season.

CHS students can take many precautions to prepare for the upcoming season. There are certain foods athletes should eat, and certain extents to which they should condition.

“I start preparing for tryouts in the winter season,” sophomore lacrosse player Colby Ranck said. “I play in a seven versus seven indoor league.”

Practicing on a team in the offseason can help to improve skills that will show during the season. There are many offseason practice teams students can join, and the earlier students start preparing, the more prepared they will be when tryouts begin.

“Athletes should run at least a mile four days a week,” varsity lacrosse coach Christen Pena-Ariet said. “[Athletes] also need to practice skills.”

According to the FitSport website, which has many tips and pointers for athletes, incorporating multiple types of training builds higher levels of endurance, strength, reaction time, speed, agility and quickness. Conditioning consistently will help to achieve these levels of fitness.

“I condition every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday,” senior baseball player Bryce Shemer said. “I run sprints, agilities and long distances.”

Conditioning is very important to an athlete’s performance, but other components factor in as well. An athlete’s diet is a key to his or her top athletic performance.

“Athletes should eat big breakfasts full of protein,” Pena-Ariet said. “[They should also eat] carbohydrates later on in the day.”

Proper, healthy nutrition will give athletes the energy and power needed during tryouts. Certain foods that have nutrients like protein give athletes better strength as well.

“The day before tryouts I eat healthy and have a lot of carbs like pasta,” Ranck said. “I also have a protein bar and drink a lot of water.”

An athlete’s attitude at tryouts is also a huge factor that plays into making a team. Staying positive and upbeat will help boost confidence, which will improve performance on the field.

“Don’t be nervous [at the tryout],” Ranck said. “Try your hardest, give it everything you’ve got, stay positive, and believe in yourself.”

Preparedness is the most important thing that leads to success at tryouts. Staying focused and determined will get student athletes far in the tryout process.

“[Students should] prepare themselves and try their best,” Pena-Ariet said. “Then, whether you make the team or not, at least you know you gave it your all, and won’t have any regrets.”