Volleyball falls in second round

The girls volleyball team’s season came to an end after a 3-1 loss to Walter Johnson Nov. 10 in the playoffs. After an up-and -down 6-8 regular season, a second round playoff exit is nothing to be ashamed of for the team.

After defeating B-CC in a nail-biting game Nov. 6, the girls faced the challenge of their second playoff game against three-seed WJ.

The girls played hard in the first set, but conceded an early 1-0 lead. The girls bounced back with a 25-20 win in the second set, but lost focus and gave up the last two sets 25-14 and 26-24 for a 3-1 loss.

“We played hard and fought for every point,” coach Amanda Cook said. “[Senior Erica] Chao did a great job of controlling the game by running our offense and hustling to every ball.”

Against B-CC, the team started slow and fell behind 2-0 early. Led by Chao, the Bulldogs magnificently rallied a comeback and won three straight sets for a 3-2 victory and moved on to the next round with a three-game winning streak.

“We played with heart and it paid off,” Cook said.

The 3-0 win against Northwood Oct. 28 was a big confidence boost for the girls as they snapped a five-game losing streak.

With confidence on the rise the team moved on to face a strong Kennedy team Nov. 11. Following great play by Chao, the girls ended the game in three quick sets with a great overall team effort. This victory turned a five-game losing streak from earlier in the season into a two-game winning streak, giving the team momentum for a potential playoff run.

The girls ended the season with their heads held high after overcoming many injuries and sicknesses while managing to put a couple of wins under their belt, including a first round playoff victory.

“I believe this season has been successful and hopefully a learning and memorable time for the team,” Cook said.