Athlete of the Month

As the quarterback of a football team that runs a triple option offense, senior Alex Kantor is a triple option threat himself, running, passing and picking apart opposing defenses.

“[Kantor] knows how to read defenses,” senior wide receiver Brandon Swepson said. “If the play breaks down, he can work around it and make a big play.”

When Kantor is not trying to get the ball into the end zone with the offense, he is shutting down opponents as the Bulldogs’ starting free safety. He has been playing free safety on varsity since he was a sophomore.

Kantor began playing football at the age of 7 for Pop Warner teams and then played a year of Maplewood.

“My dad got me into it,” Kantor said. “And as soon as I started to play, I knew I loved it.”  
Last year Kantor played slot back on offense, but in the offseason he made the switch to quarterback. In this new leadership role, Kantor needed to know where everyone was at all times and that everyone knew their assignment.

“He has a great football IQ and he knows what to do on both sides of the ball,” Swepson said. 

This season Kantor threw for 921 yards and rushed for 587 yards with 20 total touchdowns. While on defense, he had 71 tackles and led the team with four interceptions. Kantor’s statistics have been constant every week, but a few games stood out. 

Kantor’s most impressive rushing and defensive game was against rival Wootton. Kantor rushed for 100 yards and a touchdown, while catching two interceptions on defense. His best passing performance of the season came against Whitman, throwing for 205 yards and two touchdowns. 
Kantor was also a captain on the co-ed volleyball team last spring and continued to keep in shape during the offseason.

“During volleyball season I would talk with the football coaches while lifting at home four times a week,” Kantor said.

Kantor’s goal is to play in college. As of now he has no offers, but he plans to walk onto a team if he needs to. 

“He brings experience and athletic ability, along with leadership vocally on and off the field, while leading by example,” senior linebacker Brett Schweitzer said.