Why the Stanley tumblers are worth tumbling over for

Do not be fooled by their soft pastel hues. These cups are made of steel on the inside, and they can endure many more challenges than a typical water bottle.
Photo courtesy of Stanley

Waking up early for school is never easy, WCHS students often find themselves rushing out the door at the very last minute. But if there is one thing WCHS students will not forget, it is their 40 oz—vibrantly colored Stanley tumbler. 

Stanley is a 110-year-old brand that began when William Stanley Jr invented the first all-steel vacuum bottle in 1913, allowing hot liquids to be sustained for long periods of time. From there, the brand became popular amongst outdoor enthusiasts and blue-collar workers for its functionality, as even the U.S. Army Air Corp. agreed to supply the bottles to its pilots during World War II. It was only recently that its 2016 Quencher H2.0 Flowstate Tumbler suddenly sparked interest in the eyes of women and young girls that they were even willing to push and shove for the cup at Target. 

It has certainly become the new “trend”, leaving some skeptical of what wonders this cup beholds. Does it not just function like every other ordinary water bottle?

The commotion for this cup is not exaggerated; it truly is a functional cup as the science behind the original all-steel vacuum bottle is still modeled through this popular tumbler, with it being able to keep liquids cold or hot for hours on end. According to Stanley’s website, Stanley products are created to last a lifetime. That is why they have a Built for Life™ warranty that can be applied to any product as long as it is used according to the instructions. 

However, Danielle, also known as @danimarielettering on Tiktok, has proved the durability of the tumbler beyond its intended use. On November 15th, she posted a video on her TikTok account showing the aftermath of her car catching fire. Intriguingly, her car was completely damaged, but her Stanley tumbler was still together, and the ice inside had not melted. Therefore, despite the tumbler’s “soft” appearance with the array of colors it is offered in, this incident has proved that it is tougher than it looks. 

Furthermore, the tumbler’s chic design does much more than please the eye. In a Psychology Today article, Dr. Heshmat described how aesthetically pleasing objects bring a broad range of good emotions such as surprise, wonder and admiration. With that being said, when individuals are in reach of their Stanley tumbler, they will be more likely to drink out of it even though they might not be dehydrated, as its aesthetically pleasing nature makes individuals want to use it more often to obtain those positive emotions. As a result, it seems that the obsession over these cups is a healthy one as individuals may be more hydrated than ever.

In addition to people obsessing over this cup due to its aesthetic, Stanley is also a sustainable brand, another reason for people to purchase their cups. Their website highlights their commitment to making at least 50% of their stainless steel products from recycled materials by 2025. They have also switched from using plastic bags to paper wraps to protect their products during shipping, which may seem like a simple change but has a drastic effect, as packaging produces 77 metric tons of plastic each year. 

Even with all these benefits, some individuals remain in opposition to the use of Stanley tumblers as they believe it is overpriced. The 40 oz tumbler is currently within the price range of $45 to $90, which is definitely a higher price for water bottles. However, this tumbler can last a lifetime and is something individuals use in their everyday lives, so with this thought in mind, the price seems more than reasonable. 

Whether a WCHS student is going to class, hanging out with friends, or at a sports practice, they are sure to have their Stanley tumbler in hand as it is no longer just an item to them but a necessity to journey through life with.