The correct answer to the color coding debate

Photo by Nate Levine
An anonymous student’s binder, who chooses to color code his subjects to help his memory of course material.

The color of subjects is a common topic in school and on social media. There are many different opinions, but only one correct answer. Math is blue, English is yellow, science is green and social studies is orange. It’s not a debate, it’s just a fact of life.

Yes, this argument may seem trivial at first. However, associating school subjects with colors can boost memory, evoke psychological responses and help organization. According to NIH, color is believed to be the most important visual experience for human beings. So, If one can get their brain to associate facts from different subjects with certain colors, they could potentially enhance their learning and memory capabilities.

First, the fascinating realm of mathematics. Blue is calm and serene, resembling the cool waters of logical thinking that math requires. Math requires us to analyze, problem-solve and intricately connect various concepts. 

By coloring-coding our mathematical studies blue, we harness its calming effect, helping us stay focused while navigating complex equations and formulas. It is like diving into the depths of clarity and precision!

Some may argue that math is red because it infuriates them, and red is the color of anger. In truth, this is likely part of the reason they struggle with math; when math is approached with an open mind, it is easier to enjoy.

Next up is English. Yellow is the color of enlightenment and inspiration. Just like words on a page, yellow ignites our creativity. Many students at WCHS find English class boring, but they may have misjudged the class and misassociated it with other colors.

English embraces storytelling and imaginative thinking, making it the perfect companion to Yellow’s bright and cheerful nature. Yellow draws us in, urging us to explore the depths of our imagination and express our deepest thoughts. That is why it is the only correct color for English.

Now, let’s venture into science, which everyone knows is green. Green, the color of growth and renewal, is an indisputable match for this subject. 

Science takes us on a journey of exploration, connecting us to the wonders of the natural world. Green represents life, nature, and balance, much like the ever-evolving fields of biology, chemistry and physics.

Lastly, we dive into social studies and history, where students learn the tapestry of human experiences. Symbolizing energy and enthusiasm, orange perfectly captures the essence of these ideas. 

Social studies immerse us in the stories and events that have shaped our society, culture and civilization. With its warm and inviting tone, orange sparks a fitting appetite for knowledge, urging us to connect with the events and experiences of the past. 

Whether it’s the cool blue of math, the illuminating yellow of English, the refreshing green of science, or the captivating orange of social studies/history, colors have the potential to evoke emotions and create connections that elevate our understanding. So, the next time students find themselves bogged down in boredom, know that there is something to enjoy in every subject in school — one must simply find ways that intrigue their mind, and associate classes with colors.