Faceoff: Stick with what works: the grass field

The+football+field+is+an+expansive+and+gorgeous+space+for+all+types+of+events+and+gatherings%2C+including+graduation.+It+has+been+the+source+of+long-lasting+memories+and+camaraderie+amongst+students.+
Photo by Kalena Yee
The football field is an expansive and gorgeous space for all types of events and gatherings, including graduation. It has been the source of long-lasting memories and camaraderie amongst students.

As a joyous occasion with caps in the air and heartwarming commencement speeches, the thought of graduation is on the back burner for many WCHS seniors, whose priorities currently lie in finishing their college applications or looking forward to the next football game. However, planning for end-of-year activities has already begun with the SGA working with their class sponsors to ensure fun activities are in place for the Class of 2024. One of the decisions—the location where graduation should be held—was whittled down to either our very own football field or the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C. Although the air-conditioned arena of Constitution Hall is a compelling graduation choice for many students, it simply does not compare to the communal spirit of the Dawg Pound. 

Specifically, one of the critical factors that should be considered when choosing the graduation location is sentimentality. In that vein, the football field is like a time capsule for students, encapsulating the memories made on the field and in the stands. Holding graduation at the football field also serves as a full-circle moment since it celebrates student achievements while grounding them in the place where they’ve spent the last four years of their lives.

In contrast, a venue such as the DAR Constitution Hall lacks nostalgia or satisfaction. It’s too large, too artificial and too impersonal; there’s a lack of meaning and intimacy in the dimmed auditorium-esque setting of DAR Constitution Hall. 

The location of DAR Constitution Hall—within the National Mall in Washington D.C.—also serves as an inconvenient gathering place for an entire class of graduation seniors. Instead of taking one’s usual route to WCHS, the heavy traffic and nightmarish parking that Washington D.C. is infamous for adds unnecessary logistical planning for students and families. Although the school will provide charter buses as a transportation option, the commute time will only contribute to a hectic and lengthy ceremony. Moreover, the prospect of utilizing Washington D.C. monuments as a graduation backdrop is cliche and overdone. Many students already have a plethora of Washington D.C. pictures, whether from Homecoming or various trips to the city. On the other hand, group photos at WCHS make logical sense, magnifying graduation’s wistful and emotional nature.

Graduation at DAR Constitution Hall will provide a more comfortable and weather-resistant experience. However, WCHS leaders have historically planned for rain dates in case of gloomy weather, and they also offer attendees an opportunity to watch a livestream of graduation within the auditorium in case the heat is too unbearable for some. Furthermore, superficial qualities such as comfort and temperature—though important—pale compared to more pressing factors, from ease of accessibility to meaningful reflection. DAR Constitution Hall offers none of that and imparts a generically corporate ceremony that fails to leave an impression.

Overall, holding the graduation ceremony for the Class of 2024 on the football field is the superior choice, especially placed next to DAR Constitution Hall. How touching would it be to end high school at the place where it all began, with a final hurrah across the football field?