WCHS hosts 15th annual Maryland College Night

Luana+Zimmerman+introduces+the+21+admission+officers+who+came+to+visit+CHS+for+Maryland+College+Night.+

Ben Pham

Luana Zimmerman introduces the 21 admission officers who came to visit CHS for Maryland College Night.

By Ben Pham, Advertising and Subscriptions Manager

CHS hosted the 15th annual Maryland College Night on Tues., Sept. 25, from 7 to 9 p.m. in the auditorium and several classrooms, in which 21 admissions officers from colleges across Md. met with students and parents.

CHS ambassadors arrived early to decorate the halls with college flags and assist parents in finding which college was in each room. After the admissions officers introduced themselves and provided brief advice to the audience, students and parents broke up into smaller groups to attend two 30 min. sessions in various classrooms.

“I felt that the admissions officers were friendly and down-to-earth,” senior Ethan Tung said. “The conversations were relaxed, and there was no pressure.”

In the small groups, the schools who set up in a classroom provided further details about the different aspects of their college regarding tuition, student life, housing, food and athletics.

“I thought this event was very helpful and educational, and it was nice to have all the colleges together in one location,” Tung said.

While this event was intended to be engaging and valuable for attendees, CHS parent David Fletcher offered up constructive suggestions for improving this event in the future.

“Instead of having two 30 min. sessions, there should be four 15 min. sessions, so that students can meet with more colleges in the time given,” Fletcher said. “My wife, my son and I had to split up during the first session so that we could meet with each college on my son’s college list.”