MCPS Mental Health Fair educates students

The+MCPS+Mental+Health+Fair+was+held+on+October+27th.+

Creative Commons

The MCPS Mental Health Fair was held on October 27th.

By Eliza Asbury, Online Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, Oct. 27, from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., at Julius West Middle School, the Office of Student and Family Support and Engagement held the MCPS Mental Health Fair in accordance with Mental Health and Wellness Awareness Month.

This fair provided resources and outreach to those suffering from mental illness by highlighting many organizations involved with treatment.

According to the MCPS website, there are over nine resources available to students with ready access. One of these is an initiative called BTheOne.

BTheOne is an online campaign centered around teen mental health that advocates and promotes education about mental health.

The fair, held on Saturday, had a goal of reaching the community and students to help them learn about prevention and effects of mental illnesses.

According to the MCPS website, the fair also promoted ways to improve and sustain students’ physical and social well-being.

MCPS, who has combated mental illness in many different ways, decided to take a new approach with a more interactive fair and several different activities held throughout the month of October.

On Oct. 16, a video promoting resources about mental health and wellness from Superintendent Jack Smith and Student Member of the Board Ananya Tadikonda was shown to every MCPS school to go along with this month’s initiative.

As mental health awareness month comes to a close, MCPS served as a gateway for information to make students and the community aware of the numerous resources, organizations, websites and people that are available to access year round.