Bye bye junioritis, hello senior year: Top three ways WCHS juniors can prepare for their senior year this summer

Tired+WCHS+Junior+Gage+Orgel+seeks+energy+to+complete+his+assignments+before+going+to+bed.+
Photo by Gage Orgel
Tired WCHS Junior Gage Orgel seeks energy to complete his assignments before going to bed.

What is Senioritis? Senioritis is a decline in motivation in high school seniors, affecting their grades, relationships and class performance. Throughout the 2024-2025 school year, the symptoms have spread to WCHS juniors, and contamination has hurt their grades and demotivated them. But WCHS juniors have to deal with something WCHS seniors do not, getting into college. This summer, WCHS juniors must tackle college applications and regain their energy for their final year in high school. Therefore, here are three ways WCHS can prepare for their senior year during their final summer in high school.

3. Writing Their College Essays

College essays are among the most important factors in a WCHS student’s college application. A good college essay allows students to personalize their application beyond academics and extracurricular activities. It is one of the most difficult parts of the application, and many WCHS students procrastinate while completing it.  To beat senioritis before it happens, WCHS students can attend the “Brainstorming your Topic and Getting Started on the College Essay” workshop by the Founder of Kanarek Consulting and Partner of Collewise Jordan Kanarek. The workshop will be at BCC High School from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. on June 26th.

2. Evaluating Whether to Take SAT/ACT

For the Fall 2025 application season, many schools have decided to remain test-optional. Although this could be beneficial for helping  WCHS juniors with high grade point averages to stand out with many schools being test-optional, it can also help WCHS students with average academic statistics strengthen and highlight a strong point in their applications.  

The SAT consists of three sections: math, critical reading and writing. On the other hand, the ACT focuses on English, math, reading and science. It is first and foremost important for WCHS students to decide which test works best for them to give them a better chance of getting a high score.

1. Obtaining a Job

The summer is long, providing a great opportunity for WCHS students to obtain jobs. A job allows students to build responsibility and would be a great addition to their college application. Additionally, having a job shows colleges a student’s ability to stay committed and highlights community engagement.

Junior Year was stressful for WCHS students, but senior year will be more difficult. By taking measures to regain motivation and prepare over the summer, WCHS students will be less overwhelmed when senior year begins and have less difficulty applying to colleges.