Unconventional romance movie sparks new ideas of love

The Idea of You book by Robinne Lee has sparked popularity with it bringing awareness to relationships with a larger age gap than the typical norm. Therefore, the recent movie adaptation of this book further illustrates the theme of how there is no age gap restriction to love.
Photo courtesy of IMDb
“The Idea of You” book by Robinne Lee has sparked popularity with it bringing awareness to relationships with a larger age gap than the typical norm. Therefore, the recent movie adaptation of this book further illustrates the theme of how there is no age gap restriction to love.

A romantic, heartwarming and a little bit sappy comedy, starring a 40 year old mom and a boy band member. What happens when problems arise and a group of young teens are at risk of missing Coachella, the “cool”  mom will step in to save the day.

Based on the best selling novel, “The Idea of you” movie on Prime video stars Anne Hathaway as Soleme, a 40 year old recently divorced mother. Soleme planned to go on a relaxing camping trip while her daughter Izzy (Ella Rubin) and her friends were off at the Coachella music festival.  Her original plan was busted when her ex-husband, Dan (Reid Scott), hastily got called away on a business trip, so he was not able to bring them to Coachella. Then, Soleme quickly, yet annoyingly, agrees to go to Coachella with her daughter and friends, despite finding it out of place for someone her age to be there.

When arriving at Coachella, Soleme arrives at what she thinks is the VIP bathroom (which she has a pass for), but in reality it is the August moon band member Hayes Campbell’s (Nicholas Galitzine) trailer. Soleme, unaware of the situation, continues to use the bathroom in this trailer but is taken back to reality when Hayes confronts her. Hayes abruptly asks her to stay until he gets bombarded with his crew to get ready for the show, so Soleme discreetly leaves afterward but meets Hayes twice again.

Career driven Soleme is shocked that Hayes is so persistent in wanting to see her despite their age gap. However, the media and Soleme’s daughter disapproves of them, putting their relationship on the rocks, testing how long they can stand the pressure. Ultimately, their relationship has its highs and lows but does eventually bloom.

Directed by Michael Showalter, “The Idea of You” has become immensely popular in the past two months and has become a staple in the rom com movie industry. The popularity of the movie also partially revolves around the remake of Harry Styles previous relationship known from the popular boy band One Direction. The popularity of boy bands has additionally grown around this movie with the songs and additional soundtracks like “Taste,” or “Dance Before we Walk,” which are released on all music platforms such as spotify and apple music.

Hathaway, known for starring in the popular movies “The Devil Wears Prada,” and “The Princess Diaries,” has become a beloved actress throughout the past 20+ years and performed beautifully in her most recent film “The Idea of You ”. Hathaway has explained through interviews that “The Idea of You” has brought her immense excitement which she has not felt since the filming and making of the princess diaries. 

Galitzine, also a well known actor, starring in the movies “Red, White, & Royal Blue” and “Purple Hearts” is an English actor who has made his first marks very prominent in Hollywood and the industry.  Galitzine, while less experienced in acting then Hathaway has become a new fan favorite in the industry, he felt that there was an instant connection between him and Hathaway making the filming of the movie exciting and energizing. 

The difference in clothing between Soleme and Hayes in the movie helps portray the age difference. Soleme initially wears more modest clothing in the beginning of the movie, corresponding with her age and her role as a mom. However, throughout the movie, her clothing begins to change as her relationship changes, she starts to wear more professional and dark colors straying away from her previous more colorful clothing. Additionally, the young pop star wears sports t-shirts, sweatshirts and casual clothing all throughout the movie, which corresponds with his young age. 

Additionally, the co-stars had effortless chemistry all throughout the movie, bringing a sense of realism, making viewers feel that they are witnessing this in real life. They have been able to bring the viewers to another world where the “One Direction” romance screens everywhere again. 

On the contrary, fans of the book are somewhat unhappy with certain interpretations of the movie. The movie features many tabloids, clickbait headlines and paparazzi which brings the harsh reality of celebrity romance to life. This has become even more of a problem this past decade as social media has taken off providing a whole new outlet for these tabloids.

Overall, this movie perfectly captures and portrays celebrity romance and gives a real life perspective of the backends of relationships. This rom-com movie is a new staple in the industry and will continue to grow with time. “The Idea of You”, a heartfelt movie. will be sure to capture viewers’ hearts.