Handball comes to CHS

Originated in the late nineteenth century in Denmark, team handball is a sport in which two teams with seven players each pass a ball in order to score a goal.

Although it was created more than 200 years ago, handball is a new and upcoming sport at CHS.

“The county has created team sports called corollary teams,” handball coach Jaime Marchese said.  “Bocce ball was introduced last year, and handball this year.”

Corollary sports are designed for students with and without disabilities who are interested in playing on a school athletics team, but do not necessarily have the skills or desire to play at a competitive level.

“I started playing handball because I wanted to do something different,” sophomore Ovie Agege said. “It’s a little hard, but really fun.”

Handball is a unique game, with a fusion of many common sports.

“Handball is like soccer in the way that players score by shooting at a goal but like basketball because players have to dribble,” sophomore Sebastian Rink said.

While team handball is played internationally, it is not a common high school sport.

“We are the only county in the nation to have it,” Marchese said.

In handball, goals are scored often; it is not uncommon for a team to score 20 points a game. Additionally, game’s quick-paced nature requires great team chemistry and synergy.

“It’s a great team sport,” sophomore Trevor Dixon said. “It’s a fast-paced game that gets everyone involved.”

The handball team plays their first game at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Whitman.