WCHS honor societies foster subject excellence and community

Photo courtesy of Rosa Savedra

The Spanish Honor Society comes together for their first meeting on Septemeber 28, 2022 to share the light. Together, the SPHS shares their culture with each other during their induction ceremony in WCHS’ cafeteria.

By Kendyl Groisser, Assistant Online Editor

Honor and society on their own mean two entirely different things, but when brought together they create some of the most valued clubs at WCHS. Honor societies allow students to branch out, help others and learn more about a certain topic. Dillan George, a senior at WCHS and Co-President of the French Honor Society (FNHS), Rosa Savedra, a junior at WCHS and Equipo Directivo of the Spanish Honor Society (SPHS) as well as Angelica Hu, a junior and President of Science National Honor Society (SNHS) share how the honor societies taught them more about how to be a a part of a community. 

“I believe the FNHS stands out amongst all the honor societies at WCHS due to our focus on community, for example, field trips to the French bakery at Cabin John,” George said. “We’re able to build a closer connection with each other because of the activities that we participate in.” 

By joining the FNHS, George has been able to focus on community building both in and around school, including the main food hot-spot for WCHS students, Cabin John Village. The FNHS values community builders for the club and focuses on all of the students as a whole, while SNHS values students’ individualism and their personal improvements. 

“The [Science] honor society stood out to me more than others because of my passion for science,” Hu said. “It has taught me how to work with my peers and admin to pursue scientific inquiries among my community.”

In contrast to the FNHS, the SNHS helps students grow their individuality. This can be a helpful tool in learning to work with others to challenge and further your understanding in the field of science. FNHS and SNHS, while both teach equally important essential skills, are still vastly different when compared to each other. Similarly, the Spanish Honor Society has also provides  valuable lessons and opportunities to its students. 

“Being involved in the Spanish Honor Society has given me lots of opportunities to connect with others who value Spanish culture,” Savedra said. “In addition, it has given me chances to do service hours helping the Latino/Spanish communities in our local area and even around parts of the world.”

Not only has the SPHS given Savedra fulfillment in being able to connect with a part of her own culture but it also fulfills her in an academic sense. She is enabled to learn more about her identity and is also able to help others learn more about Spanish culture. SPHS values teaching Hispanic and Nonhispanic students alike the importance of various aspects of Spanish cultures in addition to the language itself. 

“This honor society is different from the other societies in that it increases awareness not just about a subject but about a people, a community.” Savedra said. “It shows the value and importance of the Spanish community at WCHS.”

Every honor society has its own values and topics that it prioritizes, but what they all have in common is that they are created for the well-being of the students. When thinking about joining an honor society, the actual applications can be a tedious process. Though the experiences differ from student-to-student, the actual acceptance can be also difficult to achieve.

“There is a formal process for interested members to apply too,” Savedra said. “The annual induction ceremony occurs for interested members after they have been accepted into the society by meeting the GPA requirements as well as writing a couple paragraphs about their connection to Spanish culture or what it means to them.” 

Besides being accepted into an honor society, there are also required meetings that students must attend. It varies from inductions, lectures, workshops or even tutoring other students depending on the society’s subject.

“The French Honor Society has given me opportunities to develop skills that have helped me in and out of school.” George said. “I’m able to use the FHS to my advantage in academic and nonacademic ways that have helped me in different situations.”

The variation of honor societies that WCHS offers to students gives them the ability to develop new and useful skills that they can use in their day-to-day lives. In order for honor societies to be successful students and teachers alike have to be willing to work together. 

“I think the main reason I joined the SNHS was because I had a strong interest and passion for science especially after taking AP chemistry,” Hu said. “But after joining I realized that I was also joining a specific environment that allowed me to develop new skills and work together with others.”