Girl Up clubs join forces and rise up

Members of the GIrl Up club held a movie night and presentation to promote and discuss female empowerment.

Julia Lescht

Julia Lescht

By Sophie Liss, Editor-in-Chief

On Apr. 27, Girl Up clubs from CHS, Walt Whitman High School and Walter Johnson High School hosted an advocacy night to promote female empowerment and women’s rights.

The event featured a showing of the movie “Hidden Figures” and a presentation by employment lawyer Rani Rolston about sexual harassment in the workplace and equal rights relating to the #MeToo campaign to end sexual violence. Those in attendance also discussed women’s rights in the United States and around the world. This event along with other Girl Up events are open to all CHS students.

“Girl Up is open to students of all grades,” Girl Up PR director and CHS sophomore Reima Mannan said. “Students who are dedicated and want to make a difference and help girls around the world are encouraged to join.”

The club raises awareness and funds for girls in developing countries who do not have access to equal rights; the goal is to help impoverished and abused girls gain access to education, safety, healthcare and jobs in their home countries.

“The club allows you to make a direct impact in a girl’s life,” Girl Up president and senior Allison Wachen said. “Last year, we donated 10 bikes to girls in Guatemala so transportation would not be an educational barrier.”

Overall, the event was a success and students enjoyed having meaningful discussions about current issues.

“In my group, we had an honest conversation about women in society and the workplace,” Girl-Up Co-Vice president and junior Nicole Bratton said. “I thought the night was a success and all of our hard work planning it was worth it.”

In the future, the club plans to make advocacy nights an annual event.

“There will be advocacy nights every year,” Mannan said. “We will watch films related to women empowerment and then discuss women’s rights.”