Club Corner: Race to Nowhere Club

Club Corner: Race to Nowhere Club

The movie Race to Nowhere calls on families, educators and policy makers to challenge current assumptions on how to prepare America’s youth to become effective and responsible leaders. The new Race to Nowhere Club serves as CHS’ acknowledgement of the movie’s goal. The club provides a forum where students can comfortably voice their opinions while working to improve the school’s educational and social environment. Students are encouraged to share personal stories, ask for advice and discuss concerns about the various pressures associated with CHS’ competitive atmosphere and demanding curriculum.

Senior Brandon Fisher, co-leader of the separate Churchill Chat club, created the Race to Nowhere Club with seniors Daniel Freidman and Neil Suttora, junior Johnny Franceski and freshman Danielle Fisher with the goal of providing students a refuge from stress.

Assistant school administrator John Taylor agreed to sponsor the Race to Nowhere Club in hopes that it and initiatives the school has introduced will give CHS students a forum for discussions on social and academic stress.

“Ultimately the concerns of stressed out and overly anxious students are a community issue,” Taylor said. “These
students exhibit a range of behaviors that impact parents and the community from suicide and other behaviors that lead to crisis intervention, to drinking and other self-medicating behaviors, to simple increased irritability and unpleasant behavior.”

The club meets in room 244 at 11 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month and welcomes students to
join the discussion on student stress, enjoy free pizza and learn strategies.