WCHS’ composition assistants stir up the write stuff

WCHS+junior+Meghan+Houton+signs+up+on+the+whiteboard+posted+on+the+English+composition+room.+She+recently+has+been+assigned+a+narrative+that+she+has+had+a+hard+time+starting.+
Photo by Isabel Vorabhandra
WCHS junior Meghan Houton signs up on the whiteboard posted on the English composition room. She recently has been assigned a narrative that she has had a hard time starting.

Students spend countless hours revising their papers, whether it’s trying to find the perfect word or cutting paragraphs to fit the word count. Getting started writing an essay or a paper can be challenging when disorganized thoughts meet  juggling other schoolwork and their deadlines. Although WCHS has various resources that are often glazed over, they are  hidden gems that can help students succeed. 

The English composition assistants are one of the many resources that students can use throughout the entire school year. Available during lunch in the writing center, they can help students with English-related assignments, whether it be  narratives, informational texts, literary analyses or even college essays.  

“Seniors who may need college essay help, do not procrastinate and please come now,” English composition assistant Siobhan Gonzalez said. “If you only have a rough draft, don’t worry and send us your outline. There is nothing worse than writing your essay, super-stressed, while chasing a deadline.” 

Gonzales advises students to stay on top of essays and their deadline, ensuring enough time to craft a unique response that they feel comes from them. Everything about senior year is hard, and although it could feel like nothing is in its right place, the English composition assistant tries their best to help students  feel more confident and organized with their college essays.

“We help students in all grade levels become better writers, focusing on all aspects of the writing process,” English composition assistant Maureen Larson said. “I think a lot of students don’t want to raise their hands in class because they are embarrassed, often afraid everyone else understands the assignment. We can help break it down into manageable parts if you are feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin.”

Laron wants to ensure that students of all grade levels are welcome to their office. Anybody could admit it, all students sit in their classes and doze off a little. When they finally snap back into reality, they are confronted with an overwhelming and confusing buddle of assignments. By visiting the English composition office right next to the English office, in 15 minutes, they can do everything from organizing an assignment to helping with an unbending writing piece. 

“The teachers here are amazing,” Gonzalez said. “I would encourage the students to look closely at their assignments and all the background information provided in their modules, as there are so many resources [that are hidden]!” 

Although they try, they cannot help every single student. If students anticipate that they will need help, it is important to make sure to reach out in advance to ensure there are available spots. They spend around 15 minutes with each student, allowing around 3-4 students to be helped per lunch period. 

My favorite part of helping students is getting to know them and helping them overcome something that is holding them back from writing a well crafted essay,” Larson said. “I love it when they leave our office smiling, a weight lifted as their confidence in their own writing ability grows.” 

There is nothing better than accomplishing a goal that may have been eating away at one’s to-do list. The English composition assistant helps not let one subject weigh a student down and stop them from reaching their full potential. Next time a classmate or friend can’t get their narrative to sound that way they want to, or can’t think of a hook for their essay, take a visit to the English composition office! 

Everyone has had a time in their life when they are staring at a blank screen or blank sheet

of paper and they don’t know where to start,” Gonzalez said. “It can be intimidating. We are here to make it less intimidating.”